Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 pm   Hello!

Hi all. My name is Ross and I live outside Houston TX. I found my slider as a hatchling when digging in the backyard. I have had her 5 months now and her name is Mikey. I am also a newbie slider owner and hoping to gain some knowledge here.
RSteff

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 am   Re: Hello!

Welcome to the forum! Do you know where the momma might have come from?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:57 pm   Re: Hello!

The closest body of water is a very small pond in a neighbor's yard that doesn't really hold water...other than that would be drainage ditches. I live in a rural area, so possible she came up the drainage ditches. I dunno but I felt bad for this baby slider by itself...now my wife and I are pretty attached
RSteff

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 pm   Re: Hello!

He's lucky you found him! Are you keeping him indoors or will he have a pond?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:07 pm   Re: Hello!

We just moved her outside. I had her in a 10 gal aquarium inside but she got big quick...she is about 4"long now and needed more space. This past Sunday I moved to an outdoor 110 gal tank. She worried me at first because she wasn't eating and I wasn't sure she was basking but I found her basking and eating today...so just new home jitters I guess. She swims and plays a lot now! It's great!
RSteff

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:30 am   Re: Hello!

You'll need to carefully monitor her diet as 4" is pretty big for a 5-mo old RES. Also you will need to protection around the pond to keep out any predators and make sure she doesn't wander off.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm   Re: Hello!

Thanks for the info. I have recently pulled back how much I was feeding her after reading some posts on this forum. She would beg like crazy at feeding time and I think I was overfeeding. I am now just giving her enough pellets to fit in her head (read that on here) twice a day. I also have her tank elevated on a platform to prevent ground predators but will definitely need to protect her from birds.
RSteff

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:18 pm   Re: Hello!

I think that's still too much. Maybe do 1/3 of head size every day, or a full size every 3 days. Make sure she has lots of veggie options too, there's no hard limit on that (though you want to keep an eye on any excessive eating of any kind).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:30 pm   Re: Hello!

Ok. Thank you. I will pull it back to a 1/3 of head size daily and add veggies. I definitely don't want her unhealthy. Thanks again
RSteff

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.