Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: swollen/bloated neck

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:03 pm   swollen/bloated neck

Hi everyone, many thanks for allowing me to be here :wink: :mrgreen:

I need some help :idea:

About one month ago my turle's neck started to be swollen/bloated after eatings. Normally you can't see anything bad with his neck or his behavior but after eating his neck goes bad and he has got dyspnea and he can sneezes as well. Some hours later his neck and behavior goes normal again but when he eats again the problem starts again.
I went to the vet with him, the he got some dope and the doctor did an examination while he was sleeping (I think he checked his throat and stomach and everything he could) but he just found nothing abnormal. Finally he told me if the turtle may have throat/swallow paralysis.

Have you ever heard a problem like this? Do you have any other idea what else can be the reason of this problem? I really want to help my turtle :mrgreen: so thanks very much for your answer! :) :) :)
kriszta28

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:55 pm   Re: swollen/bloated neck

I have not heard of "throat/swallow paralysis". This only happens after eating? How much and what are you feeding him? Any pictures of what it looks like? How long have you had him?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:44 pm   Re: swollen/bloated neck

Here is my turtle
Attachments
normalteki1.jpg
kriszta28

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:56 pm   Re: swollen/bloated neck

And this happens after eating:
Attachments
teki3.jpg
teki2.jpg
teki1.jpg
kriszta28

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:28 pm   Re: swollen/bloated neck

In the first picture you can see it's not just his throat, there is edema as well. This always happens 1 hour after eating or something like this so not suddenly, it takes time.

I just took him to another veterinary. She realised what's happening in his throat but she told me she can't do anything for him :cry: :cry: :cry:
She saw if there is a purplish area in the wall of his throat with lots of microvasculars. And this area swells after eating. The turtle expands / (spreads) his tongue bones in this situation thats why we can see the swallow neck.
When this is happening with his throat he usually has edema and swallow eyes as well thats why this veterinary's opinion is if there is a problem whit the turtle's circulatory system and there is no medicine for turtles for a problem like this :cry: :cry: :cry: . What is your opinion about this?

Thanks very much again for the answer :)
kriszta28

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:57 pm   Re: swollen/bloated neck

Last time I gave him 10 piece of small fish as you can see in this picture. Actually he doesn't eat from the plate :) i just wanted to show whit this picture how big is the turtle and how big is the food. He wanted to eat more but I was scared because of his problem so I didn't wanted to give him more. What about this quantity? Is it fine? or shall I give him less or more?
I got him 6 years ago and I never needed to care about the quantity of the food as he hasn't got any problem after the feedings. It's just started about 6 weeks ago.
Attachments
teki4.jpg
kriszta28

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:46 pm   Re: swollen/bloated neck

That amount of fish in the last picture is pretty significant. If anything, I would only use one of those fish every other day, or go with other foods. I'm not a vet, so I would lean towards what she has said as correct. How long does it take for the swelling to go down? Does the amount of swelling correlate to the amount he eats? What else is she eating?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:00 pm   Re: swollen/bloated neck

His main course was fish, chikcken breast and chicken liver (sometimes it's could be beef or cheese). But the vet told me it' should be 80% fish and 20% the others. Earlier he used to eat chicken so often but then I stoped giving the chicken as the vet told me it's not fine. Insted of the fish what else could I give him as a main course?
Nowadays I started to give him apple and lettuce between two main course. He can eat one or two of this and after this he is fine with his problems I think but he is not vegetarian so I can't feed him only with this.

Earlier I used to feed him rarelier but nowadays I do the main courses in every third day. Shell I start to feed him every day but give him much more less amount of food? For example one piece of the fish and one piece of the lettuce per day?
Attachments
81608873_600547924097934_8421321619137363968_n.jpg
kriszta28

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:33 pm   Re: swollen/bloated neck

One day he got chicken liver but a little bit less amount then the fish what you can see in the picture. After the feeding he was so bad again but it's went so much better after 3 hours. After eating 10 pieces of the fish his swelling needed 5 hours or more to go down. So thats why I think the term of the swelling correlate the amount he eat and there is no swalling after eating lettuce.

The vet opinion is if we can see the swelling when he is over-excitement for example when he is scared, so not just after the feedings. I'm not sure abuot that, I need more time to observe him. For example today he had a little swelling and the reason of this could be that he was excited because he was hungry. But he can eat his dejecta so eating dejecta also could be the reason of the littel swelling.
kriszta28

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:21 am   Re: swollen/bloated neck

It should be closer to 80% veggies for his diet. I would not use beef, liver or cheese. Fish can be a rare treat. Aside from some canned tuna fish, it's been years since my RES had live fish or prey. Do you have any sort of pellets for him? You can feed everyday, but in limited amounts. It's not necessary, though some RES prefer a schedule.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.