Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello Everyone

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:32 pm   Hello Everyone

Good Afternoon all,
I have just found the site and have been reading as a Guest and thought it would be a good thing to become a member of the family.
I little about our Family, We have 3 RES (1Male and 2 females) in a 210 gal. indoor custom made "for them" Pond/Aquarium, they also have for tank mates a 5 generation school of guppys that were initialy introduced as feeder stock when we went on a long trip about 6 months ago.
They have been part of the family since 2001 and have flurished they have gone from being the size of a small teacup saucer to now the size of dinner plates,
I have just done a 50% water change and a major filter maintenance so the tank is very cloudy at the moment so pics will follow when it clears up.
Last edited by The Turtle Family on Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Turtle Family

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:05 pm   Re: Hello Everyone

Welcome to the forum! So all 3 are still friendly tank mates? Looking forward to seeing the pictures! :D
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:02 am   Re: Hello Everyone

they arer still good tank mates, besides the usual matiing shenanigans
The Turtle Family

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:49 am   Re: Hello Everyone

Hi from Piggley and me.

What about using the "nitrogen cycle" and prevent that cloudy water ?

Cloudy water is caused by killing off your good nitrifying bacteria ( aerobic ) which when alive is attached to things in tank and filter like bio media and rocks. When killed by large water changes it becomes free floating (dead) bacteria causing cloudy water , like blooms from "new tank syndrome". To prevent this start a nitrogen cycle. Once started one must maintain it. Even with your bio load in the 210 gallon tank only 10-15% water changes would be needed , maybe at times 20% the most. Smaller water changes will allow your alive good nitrifying bacteria to hold on to bio media and do there job. Which is your and your filters best friend. Let nature do most of the work.
litefoot

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.