Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hey y'all!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:28 pm   Hey y'all!

New to the forum and to turtles. We started back in July. We had three hatchlings, a RES, a Cooter & a Common Snapper. I had my heart broke when the baby snapper didn't make it after a month, but the RES & cooter are doing fine. We believe the cooter is a boy and the RES is a girl, thus the names Eamon & Roisin (Rosy for short). We are trying to learn as much as we can to be good parents. Thanks for having me!
Longhorn

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:42 am   Re: Hey y'all!

Welcome to the forum! How big are your hatchlings now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:53 pm   Re: Hey y'all!

Eamon is 2" and Roisin is about 2.25". She is much more skittish than he is. We just moved them into separate tanks. He's pretty mellow but it seems she prefers to spend the day digging away at the substrate. I'm guessing she will calm down after a time and be less shy.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:59 pm   Re: Hey y'all!

RES are usually more outgoing, it's only a matter a time before she's making a ruckus :) As for the substrate, what are you using? (Pool filter) sand is usually the most recommended one and it is best to avoid gravel, especially any that are smaller than the size of their heads.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:16 am   Re: Hey y'all!

We are currently using larger gravel. I am aware of the issues of lithophagy and once the kids get a little larger where that may present as an issue, we will change the substrate out. Of course, once they get larger, we will also upgrade their tanks altogether.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:47 pm   Re: Hey y'all!

Sounds like you doing a great job researching. Do you have any plans to keep them outside?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:06 am   Re: Hey y'all!

That remains to be seen. Once they get a little older, we may look at something. I'd even like to set up a "playpen" for them to sun themselves. Right now though, they're a little on the small side and way too many things in this part of Texas would love to invite them to "lunch".
Longhorn

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.