Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New Turtle Mama - semi-emergency adoptions

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:35 am   New Turtle Mama - semi-emergency adoptions

Hi there - I figure I better get to know you folks! My neighbor just moved and gifted me her 4 Red Eared Sliders - in four tanks, of varying sizes (45 gallon - 75 gallon I think). Varying pumps in varying condition. All have everything they need - but I want to make some improvements.

- adding plants to each tank over time: they are pricy and I feel like I could just go to a river or a lake and get some lol. I'm in Central Texas, if anyone knows of a good spot around here.
- fun diet: I have lot of time and this will be a new hobby...who makes their own turtle foods?
- basking areas: two are commercial basking areas, two have been pieced together will various stuff. I'd like to redo them all, maybe build something really cool or each tank. Any DIY basking areas that are unique?
- friends: what can go in these tanks with these particular turtles? There's so much room for fish or other stuff!
- health: they are all healthy now but one was not basking before (she is now). Some of her scoot things need to come off and the owner said her shell was starting to sow signs of not basking. Will this resolve if she starts as she has been?
- lighting - I replaced all the lighting right away for energy purposes (she had two lights on each - a heat lamp and a UV lamp. I bought the UVA/UVB led heat lights. All of them seem to really like it, as long as I don't have it on all the way up (it's a dimmer kind). Any issues with what I've done?

Anyway...hoping to get to know some of you and learn about my new family members!
4 RES - three girls, one boy - Martha, Lois, Meg, and Henry
2 dogs - Molly and JayJay
4 cats - Arya, Possum, Oliver, and Serendipity
Many former-feeder fish
counselu2

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:56 am   Re: New Turtle Mama - semi-emergency adoptions

Hi! Welcome to our forum. It's not particularly active here these days, most of the conversations take place on the facebook page.

There is a popular recipe for home made food/treat, though I don't know of anyone who uses it as a staple: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17486

DIY basking areas can be easy to make, depending on skill level but they are almost always better than commercial products.

Any friends will be eventual meals. Don't get attached to anything you put inside a tank.

Health issues are tricky if you are new to turtles. Shedding is a good thing, it should come naturally. Never force any off.

I'm not sure what you have for lighting. There are no UVB/LED lights for reptiles, though Reptisun says they have one but I have never seen it. There is only type of bulb that offers UVA, UVB and heat and it's a self-ballasted mercury vapor bulb.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:14 am   Re: New Turtle Mama - semi-emergency adoptions

what's the facebook page called...I'll connect there. The lights are off Amazon - "CalPalmy 50W Reptile UVA/UVB Lamp" I guess it's not LED after all, but it's a much more efficient setup that double lamps...?
Many former-feeder fish
counselu2

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:17 am   Re: New Turtle Mama - semi-emergency adoptions

I found the facebook in your signature...pending approval there.
Many former-feeder fish
counselu2

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.