Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Enrichment and play ideas for previously neglected RES?

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:45 pm   Enrichment and play ideas for previously neglected RES?

I'm wondering what kind of activities my 5 yr old red ear slider might enjoy, or help bring out her natural instincts to exercise her brain a little bit. So far I have had her chase my fingers holding a shrimp for her to catch. It is loads of fun she seems to get a lot of enjoyment out of it (I always let her have the treat of course!) She also now has a side hanging filter which causes some bubbling where the water is dumped back in, she likes to play in the bubbles! Its adorable. Anyways the reason for my concern is that she was kept in an entirely empty (there was a filter) for 5 years by her previous owners. Very boring! I would imagine it was like solitary confinement! Since rescuing her, I have given her loads of hiding areas and plants and variation in her diet, and a secure basking area with privacy. She is a very curious little girl that loves rearranging her tank. I love her so much I want her to have a very fulfilling little turtle life that makes her feel respected and like she can be a true animal, not just a pet!

So, please send in any ideas for enrichment, activities I can do with her, or toys I can leave in her tank for her to experiment with. Thank you so much!
redearlump
5 year old RES Isabel
redearlump

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:04 pm   Re: Enrichment and play ideas for previously neglected RES?

This isn't an easy question to answer because it depends on their personality. My turtle tanks are pretty bare because my RES can be pretty destructive. But they have a lot of swimming space and a large basking area. They also get time outside when the weather is appropriate. Some people like to add some fish for the turtles to chase... bubble wands might provide some entertainment though it seems like your filter is doing that now.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.