Page 1 of 1
Hello from Toronto

Posted:
Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:02 pm
by CrazyHouse
My girlfriend and I have two Red Eared Sliders Named Monty and Lenny. I only met them about a year ago but she has had them for about three years now. They are both Male and about 6 inches each. I found this site because I was looking for ideas for their new setup ( a 90 GAL Aquarium with an out of tank basking area, another idea I got from this site) and I have been browsing the forums for about a month now. Until recently (the book about RESs was very misinformative) they didnt have a UVB light although they have always had a basking site. Unfortunately when we bought their new aquarium we didn't know about the whole 10 Gallons per inch and we figured that a tank 3 times the size of their old one (a 30Gal) would be enough. Unfortunately for the time being, until we can save some money for a bigger tank they will have to stay in the one they have. Here are some pictures of the boys:
The Setup
Monty The Superman
Lenny on the Ramp

Posted:
Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:45 pm
by sneakyburrito
very nice. your turtles are so chill

Posted:
Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm
by missibsu
Welcome to the forum! What a handsome fellow.

Posted:
Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:25 pm
by Sprawl
wonderfull photos!
hello neighbour :p (im a GTAite myself)

Posted:
Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:20 pm
by rawrbaby
Welcome! I live about 2 hours from Toronto
Your turts are very good looking


Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:06 pm
by megcornell
They're cute!
The out of tank basking site gives them more swimming room... good call!
You may want to put something up along the front side of the tank near the end of the basking box to make sure they can't fall to the floor...

Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:25 pm
by CrazyHouse
Yeah they used to have a plexi glass basking platform at about the same level as the PVC frame but I figured that since they didn't have enough room as it is I should make a out of tank basking spot to give em as much room as possible. I agree, they are very handsome fellers. They can't fall out because of the pieces of wood that I put along the sides:


Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:19 pm
by megcornell
Ahh, the wood on wood coloring made that hard to see

... that seems like a really nice basking perch... what site did you get the plan from?

Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:58 pm
by CrazyHouse
Got the idea from spooksters out of tank basking area
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2114
and then modified...

Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:42 pm
by steve
Spookster, are those royalties coming in yet?


Posted:
Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:33 am
by cprcheetah
Cool! I too have an above tank basking area...although it's just a rubbermaid. Do you ever have problems with escape attempts? Cause I think Zeke would be trying every chance he could get.
Love the set up!

Posted:
Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:12 am
by princessdawn
Hi,
What a great set up you have. It looks like I will be bringing my two girls home with me after all and I am so relieved.
I love the out of tank basking area and would like to know what you use for the ramp for them to get out. I am looking at creating a new set up once I get back to Canada and I love the idea of an out of tank basking area.
Dawn

Posted:
Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:17 pm
by CrazyHouse
The ramp is made out of plexiglass covered in no slip cupboard liner which is glued in place using silicone. the ramp is held in place with 2 90 degree brackets that were hammered out to a wider angle. The screws and baskin platform are covered with an old corner basking platform we had.

Posted:
Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:55 pm
by CountryGirl68
Welcome, Crazy House. Nice set up and nice looking boys you've got there.