Urgent Care :: turtle tail injury

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 pm   turtle tail injury

Hello I have two yellow belly sliders, One turtle, Scooter I have had for about two years and my youngest flipper I have had for about a year and half. They have gotten a long great and still do sometimes I do see the bigger turtle look at the younger one like he is a tasty snack and open his mouth like he's going to bite him. This aside nothing has ever happened that I have seen. The other day I noticed baby flippers tail was missing skin his tail honestly looks like it was nibbled on. There is nothing in the tank besides the intake valve that he might of gotten stuck on. I doubt that was the cause tho.

How big is your turtle? 6 by 5 inches
How long have you had it? year and a half

What is the water temperature? dont know
Did you use a thermometer? no
Are you using a water heater? yes
How much water is in there? filled all the way up
Are you using a water conditioner? yes
Are you using any filtration? yes

What is the basking temperature? dont know
Is there a basking light? yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? above basking area platform
Is there a UVB light? not yet

What have you been trying to feed it? shrimp, crickets, worms, turtle food
When was the last time your turtle ate? this morning

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 25 gallon
Is the tank near a window? yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? yes

Have you read the Basic Care section? yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? it looks infected
new to this website couldn't download picture, photo bucket is confusing. I have called a vet but I have covid right now so I can not take him until I test negative
Sophie_722

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:31 pm   Re: turtle tail injury

You can use imgur.com or even email them if you have trouble with the pictures. Right now, it's best to assess the severity of the injury but keep in mind that you will likely have to keep the turtles separate moving forward. Aggression can happen at any time, and as they grow bigger, they are much stronger and can seriously hurt each other.

If it's still bleeding, dry docking should help. For minor wounds, dry dock usually helps the healing process and you can add a little betadine to clean the wound and apply some neosporin.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:54 am   Re: turtle tail injury

Dear Steve,

I read your post and was truly moved by the amount of concern and trouble you have gone to safeguard these two guys from hurting each other.

In any case, I had a similiar situation however, doctor said my little guy had a previous injury to his leg. Reading up the leg became bent outward. Most of the skin and even cartilage looks like it's growing in. This was most likely due to a bite from another turtle. I have only had him for six months. It has become noticeably lesser than I can say for any improvement. I read even tails can grow back on turtles. But in my case he Red seems like he's double jointed now.
And it looks like a struggle to see him walk. Regeneration of the cartilage would be what I was thinking.. But again have been to the doctor and am shutting down again since the latest surge. Any thoughts on this kind of situation.
Alleysrock

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:20 am   Re: turtle tail injury

Hi, Alleysrock! Welcome to the forum. Hard to know what is going on, but I haven't heard of this type of injury improving in any significant manner. Most likely he is adapting to the injury as RES are pretty resilient. Most important is that it does not get worse or cause pain. I'm hoping to hear any improvement!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:50 am   Re: turtle tail injury

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the concern. He seems to be ok for now. Even so much of the wound healed up muscle and cartilage need mending underneath the area that was infected
Am concerned the need for antibiotics. Medicine is scarce. Getting to be at least. It's hopeful there will be some improvement. He seems to be adjusting maybe so.e discomfort. Still am contemplating giving him to a friend in the future. It was a lot of work. Even though most likely an accident. He would be fine by now. But then again the doctor did say these guys get themselves into all sorts of crazy mixups.
Alleysrock

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:30 am   Re: turtle tail injury

Are the antibiotics something you've given to him before?

Adult male RES should really be kept alone from other RES... if you want to get him friends, it should be the fishy kind.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:12 am   Re: turtle tail injury

I took the RES to see the doctor. The office were not very well prepared. Even so doc is trained in reptilian and bird care. Basically exotic friends as it were. The appointment got botched up someone thought they did not give one to me. An on call doctor with an assistant said they gave him antibiotics but think they couldn't get it under his scales. They do bite I guess.
Myself, plus the probiotics the doctor office gave were all I had, stuff I picked up online, antibiotics, wound care ointment for pain.. Anyway he's eating a little, drinking and playing in the pen ,he sleeps. He's moving the leg a lot. Still there's the gaping whole that is closing up. Am getting busier and busier though. That said they wanted to house him for a short time to rehabilitate said then they were too overcrammed.
Alleysrock

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:28 pm   Re: turtle tail injury

Has he been dry docked? Flesh wounds will heal quicker when he's out of the water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 am   Re: turtle tail injury

Yes and no going for a little swim, the leg has not any mobility. It's ok just I have to do a lot of preparation. I clean and bandage before and after. Still a dire situation. Have to rehab and guess strange as it sounds thinking physical therapy. RES was too tired due to a swollen foot. So no doubt muscle is not that strong. At dinner RES moves around. Problem looks to be double jointed in other words its the amble. It's not that bad, though am a little conerned being the wound care was so agonizing. I know am a cry baby. Why complain it's much better now.
Alleysrock

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:13 am   Re: turtle tail injury

It's normal to empathize with our turtles, and no one wants to see them in pain or discomfort. There is only so much you can do but did your vet give you a lot of details, regarding a course of treatment?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:52 am   Re: turtle tail injury

Oh no not much info.
Alleysrock

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:41 pm   Re: turtle tail injury

I would go back and find out what you can. The last thing we would want is for his situation to be worsen.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:34 pm   Re: turtle tail injury

Yes I know the thought did come to mind. Went through this on the first round, then 2nd then 3rd time. I was like ok this could get a lot worse. I took my usual trip South this wee. Hard to find a good vet. And unfortunately there were a blizzard and no time. Tried getting a virtual visit at askvet.com but no luck. He has improved just think x-rays would have helped. Love the little guys recillience.
Alleysrock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:41 pm   Re: turtle tail injury

Ps. FYI Read up on a topical cream called insulin for wound care it's safe since it doesn't have any antibiotics. Think turtles have same problems when it comes to kidney and meds as pigs and humans. Just another way to treat this kind of thing.
Alleysrock

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:05 pm   Re: turtle tail injury

Animals/humans often share the same medications especially when dealing with certain infections. However, application and dosages can be wildly different. There is also less research in what effects there might be on reptiles.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Urgent Care