Urgent Care :: My RES's neck is bent today!! Somethings really wrong.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:01 pm   My RES's neck is bent today!! Somethings really wrong.

My hatchling has been doing very good for almost a month now. But today I noticed this afternoon that his neck was bent to the right and he was running in that direction. It almost looks like his neck is so sore that he looks right...his right red ear faces up!!!!!! What is going on, I can't find any info on this and I am really worried about the little guy.

Please help with any thoughts.
bruster

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:28 pm   

i dont know wat is wrong. he could have broken it somehow. i would take him to a vet IMEEDEATLY! I mean you need to get him to a emergency room if his neck is broken!
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:48 pm   

I should also note that he does straighten his neck out from time to time. But mostly, he is looking to the right and swimming in circles. He also tips over more often from his lack of equilibrium and efforts to turn right all the time. I don't know what happened today! I did notice though, for the past week he has been elongating his neck big time. I am wondering if this extreme twisiting of the neck and elongation is a symptom of pneumonia or a serious bacterial respiratory infection. I had a RES before...he lived 20 yrs and I never saw this. Again, he does straighten his neck out from time to time...but it is really sad watching him swim in circles and turning over often. Poor little guy.
bruster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:09 am   

i would take him to a herp vet. that sounds really sad. poor turt :(
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:24 pm   So attached to Bruster so quickly..& update

I took Bruster to the ER vet around 1am last night b/c he was fine the day before...it was too sudden. The vet thinks he might have a hereditary neurological disorder as a hatchling or he might have hit his head somehow in his tank. He only has 2 inches of water in a 20 gallon tank and two large flat rocks just above the surface of the water.

Bruster is still eating like a mad man. He moves very energetically...but unfortunatley he can't swim anymore....as he literally swims in tight circles in the direction that he is twisting his neck. Then he panics and tips onto his back.

I feel so bad for Bruster. He is handicaped and I am hoping it is transient. How do you know when a turtle is suffering? Makes me so sad. I have turned off my air conditioner, to prevent drafts. I am burning up in here...but whatever helps Bruster. I hope he makes it...I can't believe how attached I have gotten to this little guy. He is one month old.
bruster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:13 pm   

I have seen that neurological disorder on a dog on t.v. but other than that, I haven't seen any other animal with that disorder, I hope your turtle makes it, and I wish there was something I could say to make his condition get better, I am sure all of us feel helpless when we hear about turtles being sick because we feel like they are our turtles as well.

Keep us updated on your turtle's condition and good luck. :(
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:23 pm   

nerological disorder. hmm...that sounds bad...am i wrong?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:43 pm   

I have lowered the water, added a new UVB/A light, heated the ambient air etc. We will see if he improves. He is still eating and walking around.
bruster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm   

read this post, there is also a video clip... http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=590

sounds very similar and when my turt had it, he survived it. but i suspect that most do not.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:35 pm   

I am a very happy turtle owner right now. The second vet told me to hang tight on this b/c he thought it was either a peristent neurological problem (which would worsen) or a severe over-compensation for a self inflicted injury.

I rose his water temp to 80 degrees and his basking area above 90. He has improved over 90% since this last post. He is swimming, eating, and gets excited when I come near the tank!! Thank goodness Bruster has his personality back!

I have a follow-up with the vet. It appears Bruster may have injured himself after-all and as a hatchling was aggressively over compensating (which was so sad to watch...it was killing me, I thought he would die within a day or have him euthenised).

Anyway, all for now. Thank you so much for all your help and empathy. Bruster has quickly become a part of my life and so has this message forum.

kind regards,
chris
bruster

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:49 pm   

I am glad to hear that it wasn't the neurological thing, and I am glad your turtle is doing better. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:31 am   Re: My RES's neck is bent today!! Somethings really wrong.

Hi. Did your RES recovered 100% from it? I wonder if mine would recover too. I really pity my turtle with its head a bit bent, and I don't know what to do.
Umar.Umar

Return to Urgent Care