Urgent Care :: Piece of shell broke off

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:59 pm   Piece of shell broke off

Hey everyone,

I've occasionally asked for advice on this forum as my turtle had a fungal infection on her shell for quite some time. We did extensive treatments on the shell and it did heal, after a while the turtle I think sustained a small injury on one of her peripheral scutes and that piece, though we treated - remained white and was slow to heal, today while cleaning her tank and dry-docking her, that piece of the shell broke off. I am going to apply Povidone-Iodine and dry-dock her for a few hours, however the shell around where the chunk of her shell fell off seems to be well-healed and dry, I think the shell healed around that part and the injured piece just fell off.

Is there something else I should do?
Should I somehow smooth the edges where the piece broke off so that she, whilst entering the water doesn't chip off any other piece?

Here are some pictures of what the shell looks like there: https://imgur.com/a/zMBjmEz
Scribble

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:17 pm   Re: Piece of shell broke off

I would do a through examination to make sure it's fully healed. No sensitivity, bleeding, open areas, etc. More dry docking would help with those issues, but I would have a vet check her out... maybe a bloodtest to see if shes fighting any infections. Overall, it doesn't look too bad but usually minor injuries don't have this result.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:00 pm   Re: Piece of shell broke off

Thank you for responding steve. The injury is from a couple of years ago, it's not a recent one.
There seems to be no sensitivity there and it looks healed and dry. I will dry-dock her for a couple of hours more, and will bring her to the vet this next week.
Scribble

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:34 pm   Re: Piece of shell broke off

Sounds like she's in good hands. Please update when you hear more.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care