Urgent Care :: 11 year old isn't eating, lethargic, sleeping at weird angle

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:42 pm   11 year old isn't eating, lethargic, sleeping at weird angle

I'm going to start by saying that I have a vet appointment scheduled, they just can't see her until the 20th. I'm on the waiting list for cancellations and planning on calling other vets as soon as they're open.

How big is your turtle? 7-8 inches roughly
How long have you had it? 11 years

What is the water temperature? 72
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? No
How much water is in there? 40+ gallons? I don't know. It's not a standard sized enclosure
Are you using a water conditioner? No
Are you using any filtration? Canister filter, 303 GPH I believe

What is the basking temperature? 80-85 (estimate)
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Eggcrate
Is there a UVB light? Yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Reptomin sticks coated in calcium and vitamin-D. I also offer fresh veggies, but she is picky
When was the last time your turtle ate? Over a week ago, maybe 2.

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 4ft x 3ft x 2 ft
Is the tank near a window? On the ground below a window.
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Not really

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? Yes.

Derp stopped eating between 1-2 weeks ago.
This year she did not lay eggs, but last year she didn't either. She did not show any signs of wanting to lay eggs last year or this year. In the 11 years I've owned her, she has never layed her eggs in the dirt, just in the water. I'm suspecting she may be egg bound. (For the record, the nest for her is ~50% sand and ~50% sifted soil as recommended by the vet in a large container. Dirt deeper than she is long.)
She has been very lethargic. She will bask and get into the water, but usually she just lays. In the basking area she will have her head and legs out, but they are just limp laying on the platform.
Lately when she gets in the water she lays with her nose close to the filter intake and has her butt in the air.
(image: https://imgur.com/THxx05S)
This laying behavior is what is bothering me. Today she was trying to get into this position and was laying sideways in the water, but I believe that is because her ramp. I'm trying to get her into a vet ASAP, but I thought maybe somebody here may be able to shed some light.
Herp&Derp

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:23 am   Re: 11 year old isn't eating, lethargic, sleeping at weird a

When was a last time you did a water change? This might just be her slowing down a bit due to seasonal change.

I'd bump up the water temperatures and try to offer some more enticing foods. Rosey red minnows are a good live prey for her, but if you can manage a feeding container for her, you can try some white chicken meat or canned tuna. Just use a little bit as you don't want to feed her too much.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:40 pm   Re: 11 year old isn't eating, lethargic, sleeping at weird a

steve wrote:When was a last time you did a water change? This might just be her slowing down a bit due to seasonal change.

I'd bump up the water temperatures and try to offer some more enticing foods. Rosey red minnows are a good live prey for her, but if you can manage a feeding container for her, you can try some white chicken meat or canned tuna. Just use a little bit as you don't want to feed her too much.

Thanks for this advice! I'll give it a shot.

Also, I ended up taking her to the vet. Got x-rays, blood test, antibiotics and some vitamin shots. The vet gave me the antibiotics before doing the blood test. She said "they always end up having something."

I couple days after the visit she called to say that the blood work came back normal. WBCs and RBCs are normal. She didn't mention the antibiotics, and I didn't think to ask. Part of me thinks if the blood work is normal, she probably doesn't need the antibiotics? It just feels weird treating without a diagnosis. Also, the x ray showed no eggs. I thought for sure she would have some.
Herp&Derp

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:08 am   Re: 11 year old isn't eating, lethargic, sleeping at weird a

Yes, I probably would be reluctant to use the antibiotics as they could further suppress her appetite. Has there been any change in her behavior? Is she more active when out of her tank?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care