Page 1 of 1
HELP!! Turtles fighting

Posted:
Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:10 pm
by 2Sliders
My bigger red ear just attacked my other slider, there are NO vets open that deal with reptiles at the moment. What can I do? She ripped skin off the back or the neck.
They have been together for OVER a year now. I don't understand why they are fighting.
Any suggestions on what I can do, until I can get her into a vet.

Posted:
Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:39 pm
by steve
Separate them now. It will only get worse if you leave them together.
How bad is the wound? Bleeding? Rawness?

Posted:
Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:47 pm
by SpotsMama
Keep her out of the tank. If there's no bleeding but an open wound, rinse it with clean water then apply a little antibiotic ointment with a q tip. If the wound is bad, don't put her back into an aquarium until the vet has seen her. If it's a while before the vet can see her, you can keep her out of water most of the time except for a couple of times a day put her in clean water to eat and drink. If the wound isn't bad, it's not so essential to keep her out of the water all the time BUT you mustn't put her back in the tank with the other one and her swimming water must be very clean.

Posted:
Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:14 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
And for an open wound, any vet should be able to treat that, not just a herp vet. So don't worry about finding a herp vet if it's bad, just get her to any vet for treatment!

Posted:
Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 pm
by marisa
Clean the wound and apply an anitibiotic ointment like Neosporin. Depending on how bad it is, you might want to keep your turtle out of the water overnight. Make sure the water is kept clean. Repeat applying the ointment daily until the wound starts to heal.
Separate them, or, if the tank is large enough, divide it.

Posted:
Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 pm
by 2Sliders
The skin tore when I went to separate them. I feel like I made it worse, but I panicked.
The wound is a little raw, and there was blood when it first happened, she is still eating and swimming.
I am going to take her tomorrow before work hopefully.
Things I have read said my other turtle wants to mate, but as far as I could tell they are both females.
Will I ever be able to put them back together??

Posted:
Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:48 am
by steve
It's doubtful. People underestimate their personalities and think they can be trained. I'd make sure you keep the water extra clean. If it's a small flesh wound, I don't think a vet is necessary... though any shell injury should have veterinary consultation. As mentioned, dry-docking, antibiotic ointment and clean water is a good start.