Urgent Care :: Sudden change in behavior of RES turtle

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:05 pm   Sudden change in behavior of RES turtle

So as the title says, recently one out of the two baby RES that I own has been acting strange lately and I think it may have been due to the fact that my grandma gave them a little bit too much lettuce? I am not sure as they were fine the morning of that day when I looked at them, but she told me that she fed them a bit of lettuce and that squirtle ate it all up really quick.

I go in to check on them and i noticed squirtle just clinging and floating on my tree decor. He would always come swimming to me whenever I walked in the room but this time he had no reaction and just stayed put. He had a bit of a thrusting motion in his neck when I picked him up and I wasn't sure if he had a RI but just to be safe I put him in a separate tank with a heater at 84F overnight. The other RES is perfectly fine and very active.

In the morning I saw that squirtle pooped a lot and that he was swimming a bit more so I put him back into the main 10-gallon tank which has a good filter, heater, and a UVB lamp with a basking area that is around 86-92F. I usually give them two pellets each once a day for 4 days and greens the other 3 days.

Once he was back in the tank he started to be inactive again and hid next to the tree. If anyone can give me some advice on what they think is going on I would really appreciate it. I'm only 6 months into turtle keeping so any tips about how to further care for them would help me a lot.
thenerd683

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:40 am   Re: Sudden change in behavior of RES turtle

Hard to know what's going on. Usually when I need to figure out any dietary issues, I offer a basic and small amount of food (usually pellets) and observe (behavior, poop, etc). It sounds like you are doing something similar, so I would continue it for another couple of days.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:27 pm   Re: Sudden change in behavior of RES turtle

Young red eared sliders often eat a lot without understanding that its not very good for them. If this occurs again I would suggest putting them in a tank with almost no water at all. When one of my own overate it tipped itself upside down in the water and almost drowned.
Flery

Return to Urgent Care