Urgent Care :: Something is terribly wrong with my turtle! PLEASE HELP!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:27 pm   Something is terribly wrong with my turtle! PLEASE HELP!

So here is a bit of back story, we went to the beach and I saw these turtle among a lot in a filthy store in a filthy cage thing and I could only afford to rescue two at a time so that is what we did...they did great for the 8 hour ride home. Unfortunately we lost our mom/maw maw the next day so we weren’t able to get a proper tank with filtration and etc u til about a week later everything went great the reptofilter, the river rocks, the upgrades to the filter (carbon packets from fluvel and the prefilter cube things from the same company) the tank was clean and everything was great the turtles were adjusting well....we thought....woke up four days ago (2weeks and 2 days since they’ve been with us) and found one of the turtles immobile....We were sure he passed away. It couldn’t figure out why so suddenly. We had a VERY upset 6 year old and I’m still completely heart broken but here’s the thing...now the larger turtle (the one that still lives) has an eye that won’t open all the way/has a mucus type thing over his eye...and as we were trying to help wipe it off he dropped “Jumped” from my boyfriend’s hand hit the carpet...I’m so worried and the vets near me don’t take turtles...PLEASE HELP! Ill attach pictures... he has reddish spots by where ears would be. He’s just been sleeping so much lately and basking in the heat lamp...we started turning it off at night and he hides in the water under the turf thing....please help.

Also we ordered new baby turtles from some pet site so he wouldn’t be lonely and they came today...they are so busy and I know something is wrong with mine because they are basically running from him. He refuses to move...his eyes are open...and he kicks his legs when I pick him up but yeah...i dont know what to do...I’ve never really had pets before and I’ve been googling like a crazy lady for over a week now through the grief and all...
Madam Jedi

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:10 am   Re: Something is terribly wrong with my turtle! PLEASE HELP!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Regarding the turtles... if they are under 4", it is technically illegal to buy in the US. Regards to RES.. keep in mind that many captives do not get a long in a tank, especially males. This can be expensive and time consuming with multiple turtles. The initial description of the setup sounds very basic, as more appropriate filters are much larger and more expensive.

Have you gone over these pages?:

http://www.redearslider.com/general_tips.html
http://www.redearslider.com/hatchling_tips.html
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care