Urgent Care :: Shell problems!! New turtle owners!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:42 am   Shell problems!! New turtle owners!

Hey guys, we just got 2 new baby turtles one yellow belly and one Cumberland. They are about 2 inches(we didn’t know about the 4 inch rule). We have had them under a week now and our yellow belly has brown spots on his shell. The Cumberland is showing no signs of brown spots on his shell. The yellow belly is still yellow on his under side and is still eating. We are not sure if it is turtle rot or him shell scute. Help please! Any ideas what it could be?!
Collinj

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:08 pm   Re: Shell problems!! New turtle owners!

Do you have any pictures? Sliders do get brown splotches on their shells and their patterns change a bit as they grow.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:49 pm   Re: Shell problems!! New turtle owners!

steve wrote:Do you have any pictures? Sliders do get brown splotches on their shells and their patterns change a bit as they grow.
Attachments
38616100-FE77-449B-8AFE-9AE2648AF78E.jpeg
Collinj

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:39 pm   Re: Shell problems!! New turtle owners!

That does look like a problem. Not sure if some sort of fungal or shell rot issue. Does your turtle bask often?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:59 pm   Re: Shell problems!! New turtle owners!

steve wrote:That does look like a problem. Not sure if some sort of fungal or shell rot issue. Does your turtle bask often?

Yes he does. As well as he eats very well. My Cumberland that I have in there with him is doing well also no signs of anything.
Collinj

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:10 pm   Re: Shell problems!! New turtle owners!

How many hours a day? He's still pretty small, I would consider some dry docking so he's out of the water most of the time and clean those areas with some Betadine and or Silver Sulfadinze cream. You might want to separate them as well in case it is contagious.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:26 am   Re: Shell problems!! New turtle owners!

steve wrote:How many hours a day? He's still pretty small, I would consider some dry docking so he's out of the water most of the time and clean those areas with some Betadine and or Silver Sulfadinze cream. You might want to separate them as well in case it is contagious.

Thank you very much for this excellent information. I will keep it in my file if ever needed.
TheMikey

Return to Urgent Care