Urgent Care :: Red Eared Slider

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:26 pm   Red Eared Slider

Hello everyone,

I am a new member to this website. I hope you all are doing well and staying safe.

I have a Red Eared Slider that I am concerned about. My turtle has been in a tank with other turtles for a few years. I am not as well educated on caring for turtles as I would like and striving to learn more about this. I noticed a couple of days that she was moving around in the tank like she was trying to get out. She stopped eating and was kicking sand around. I thought she was going to lay eggs, so I made a nesting box for she last night. She buried herself in the soil and is still currently in the box.

What should I do? Was I being too haste thinking she was galvid?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
fiLAOpino

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:41 pm   Re: Red Eared Slider

It does sound like she is gravid. Nesting boxes don't often work, so it's no surprise that she dug in. You best bet to try it is when she starts to act like she wants out. Either she will go ahead and nest after a few minutes, or it's not working out for her.

Have you tried feeling for eggs?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:39 pm   Re: Red Eared Slider

Thank you for your reply. I did feel for eggs, and I thought I felt some. I am not too confident in my ability to tell though. Should I try to wake her and return her back to her habitat?
fiLAOpino

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:53 pm   Re: Red Eared Slider

Yes, make sure you rinse her. And she'll be a little slippery :)

If there were no eggs, you wouldn't feel anything. So if you think you felt some, she likely has them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:22 am   Re: Red Eared Slider

Thanks, I returned her back to her tank last night. You mentioned that a nesting box does not often work. What would you recommend? I read online that some people have tried placing their turtles in a tub of warm water for a few hours, but I am not sure how successful this method is.
fiLAOpino

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm   Re: Red Eared Slider

It really depends on the turtle. Best time to try is when she wants to go... keep an eye on weather and time, because I think that has a major influence on them. What works best is outdoors, a garden or some bushes. As for other solutions, I have heard many different ideas that have worked. Maybe let her roam around in the house and find her spot.... someone had her RES prefer a slipper to lay them.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care