Urgent Care :: Not sure what this sound is

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:10 pm   Not sure what this sound is

Hi, so our red ear started making a somewhat loud sound like a cough about a month ago. It was a few times daily. We ended up changing the water and cleaned the tank and the next day she was quiet. It has been 2 weeks now without her making that sound but she started again yesterday. She did it a couple times yesterday and once or twice today. The water in the tank is fine this time. Her behavior is fine but I just am curious what this sound is! I tried attaching the file so you can hear it, but the post isn't allowing the file. I can email it if you need to hear the sound.
I just bought her a multi vitamin today to help with a supplement in case she needs that too.
Let me know if you want the file sent to you to hear the sound.
Thank you
karen5176

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:05 pm   Re: Not sure what this sound is

You can email it to me if you'd like. redearslider@gmail.com

I can't say I've heard of a cough sound before. We've had croaking, whooshing and hissing sounds before. Can you fill out some of the questions found here:

viewtopic.php?t=2142
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:50 pm   Re: Not sure what this sound is

Answers to the questions below...

How big is your turtle? 5 inch long shell,about 7 lbs, adult.
How long have you had it? 2.5 years

What is the water temperature? now it is 85F, i have a water heater. has been around 75 usually.
Did you use a thermometer? yes
Are you using a water heater? yes
How much water is in there? 11 gallons, 55 gallon tank size
Are you using a water conditioner? i use Reptoguard turtle health conditioner every time i change the water.
Are you using any filtration? yes, large sized Aqueon filter

What is the basking temperature? that i am not sure.
Is there a basking light? yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? it is made of a wood material. bought at petsmart
Is there a UVB light? yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Flukers buffet blend for aquatic turtles and Zoo med red shrimp as a treat.
When was the last time your turtle ate? tonight

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 55 gallon tank
Is the tank near a window? no
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? no

Have you read the Basic Care section? no
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? i did

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? no, she seems ok otherwise. i do not see any mucus or swollen eyes etc. she swims around and seems active.
karen5176

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:56 pm   Re: Not sure what this sound is

I am trying to send the video of the sound, having an issue trimming the video. For more background, i made the mistake of using some hose water in her tank a month ago. I am sure that caused this sound. once we changed the water and cleaned the tank, it stopped. The water now is fine. it is clear and is purified water from the store. My husband thinks her water was too low yesterday so maybe that was why she made the sound yesterday a few times. I added a few gallons last night. She made the sound today once or twice and now nothing.

Just sent the video **
karen5176

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:40 pm   Re: Not sure what this sound is

Got it! It only happened in the beginning of the video, correct? It just sounded like she was spooked and went into her shell pretty quickly. It caused a bit of whoosh sound, which is mostly air leaving. Given her size (she looks pretty hefty), it can make sound more dramatic. Is that what it sounds like to you or are you picking up something else? She still has the same appetite? What UVB light are you using?

You can probably lower the temps, 80 is fine. If you have an accurate thermometer, you can go a bit lower. Is the tank a "tall" aquarium? I would stop using the Reptoguard, which is not a water conditioner. Use some activated carbon for your filter. You can buy it in a large container and fill it in a small media bag, rinse it, then put it with the rest of the filter media.

Was it cold water from the hose? It wouldn't be as bad as if were warm water but your turtle might find it irritating.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:46 pm   Re: Not sure what this sound is

Thank you for responding. Her appetite is the same and unsure the UV wattage. I want to say 75 watts. We have had it for about a year. I think the water was irritating her. You could be right. It was warm, but it did have a smell to it. And the sound was only at the beginning of the video. I will look into the filter recommendations too. The tank is tall, 20 inches in height
karen5176

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:17 pm   Re: Not sure what this sound is

Only Mercury Vapor Bulbs provide UVB (and heat) at that wattage or more. Most keepers have a florescent type and those are like 13-26 watts. Those also need to be replaced about every 6-mos. Not having the right type of bulb can irritate the eyes and cause vision problems. New bulbs usually need to have a 'burn-in' period too (kept away from the turtle since the UVB is at its strongest in the beginning). I'd look for a wider tank too, there are some called "breeder" tanks and they have more depth than your standard tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:25 pm   Re: Not sure what this sound is

Ok thank you. I will look into this!
karen5176

Return to Urgent Care