Urgent Care :: Turtle lack of care and poor shell help

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:10 pm   Turtle lack of care and poor shell help

Hello all,
We adopted a RES female, approx 5-6 years old. We don't have a complete history on the turtle however, based on her condition she wasn't properly cared for. We have tried to compensate for years of bad husbandry. Have read a lot, and think we have the right tank 10 gallon per inch, filter canister 2X, UVB, diet, water temp 78, basking temp around 90. Lights are on 12 hours per day approx. Feed every other day veggies mostly green leaf and other, pellets 2x week and a calcium supplement.

Our worry is her shell and her lack of basking. It appears cracked and dry, flaky, some whitish patches but firm to the touch. My gut tells me lots of retained scutes. Initially our turtle was in a good routine of basking twice a day no issues for hours but as soon as late fall came, then winter she stopped. We encourage her of course but, its been a while since she has routinely basked - she goes once a week now if that, lots of resting her head on the ramp but won't go up.

I have attached some pictures of her shell. No smell. Any help would be appreciated. She is otherwise active, responsive, playful, no swollen eyes now, healthy appetite. We test the water regularly PH good, Nitrites 0, Amonia 0 the only thing we can't seem to control are the nitrates but we do water changes regularly (not sure if our tap water is high in nitrates to begin with) but this might not be related to shell issues.

With thanks for any HELP.....I was against my son getting the turtle initially but now that we have her I feel a great sense of responsibility and want to do our best to take care of her... I am converted now to loving turtles.
Attachments
IMG_3576.jpg
Shell Pictures
IMG_3574.jpg
Shell Picture
IMG_3573.jpg
Shell Picture
tartarugamom

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:12 pm   Re: Turtle lack of care and poor shell help

You are right, there are lots of retained scutes. Could be from fast growth as well. I would do some frequent shell cleanings until those shed. Basically there is gunk, water and debris collecting under there which can cause infections eating at the shell. Get her basking as much as possible, but I would also get something like betadine or hibiclens and use a toothbrush to gently scrub those areas. Rinse a few times then dry dock or back into the tank (if you know she is basking a lot). If you use hibiclens, be aware that it is soapy and she will be very slippery.

It's not too bad and I don't see any shell deformities. Take a deep breath, you will be fine together :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:41 pm   Re: Turtle lack of care and poor shell help

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I got my betodine today. Should I apply to the whole shell? I assume I clean the shell first then apply and let the betodine dry into the shell. Is it safe to use Dawn liquid soap to wash the shell or should I just use clean water?

I also got some Hikari Wheat germ, I read this might help with shedding. I have read many posts saying Hikari Wheat Germ for Koi is safe for turtles, but stumbled on one that pointed it out it had garlic so wasn't safe. Opinions?

I was wondering if others have had RES stop basking cold turkey. It was like almost overnight the season changed and she stopped basking. I assume animals can sense the change of seasons. Right now she shows no interest in basking so I have resorted to dry docking.

I appreciate ate you bringing me some calm here, I think with time hopefully we should see some progress.

Tartarugamom....
tartarugamom

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:19 pm   Re: Turtle lack of care and poor shell help

You can pour a small amount out (a couple of tablespoons maybe), mix with a little water if you wish. Use that solution to scrub the shell. Be careful because it might cause stains on clothes. Make sure it does not go into her mouth or nose.

If you are dry docking, scrub and rinse a few times. You can leave the solution as it after you scrub. Before she goes back in the tank, wipe with a wet paper towel or give her a rinse since she might have picked up hair/dirt.

If you don't/can't dry dock, I'd wait a few minutes before rinsing it off and putting her back into the tank.

Some people choose dilute it in a container to a "weak tea" color and let the turtle soak in it but not so much as the turtle could drink it. I have not tried it myself and it's probably not necessary with this situation.

Shedding requires patience. Do not pick at or force loose scutes. It will shed and look great when she's done.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care