Urgent Care :: RES Abscess Anti-biotic Treatment

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:41 pm   RES Abscess Anti-biotic Treatment

About a month and a half ago, we noticed that our 16 year old red eared slider wasn’t doing too well. After a trip to the vet, we knew that he had an abscess on his head (in his ear) and they operated to drain it.

We have been dry docking him since. After a recheck with the vet after a month or so, they said that it was healing very well and they cleared out the scab that had grown and flushed the opening out with saline.
When we first had the procedure, we were given instructions to give him injections of Ceftazidime (antibiotic) every three days, as well as gentamicin sulfate and ofloxacin ophthalmic drops to his wound twice daily. Lastly, we apply silver sulfadiazine cream twice daily following the drops. We were also given oral pain relief/swelling medicine to give as needed.

We have given him all 15 shots and medicine as instructed for the last 45 days, and it’s healing well, but it’s still not fully healed. The vet said she wants to keep him on more antibiotic shots and is planning to give us 15 more. We were just wanting to know if this many injections for this long of a period is normal, or overkill? We just know he’s not a fan of shot nights, and has been sluggish the day after every shot.

Please give us advice! We love him and just want what’s best for him, no matter how much hard work it takes
SPINSERVE

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:06 pm   Re: RES Abscess Anti-biotic Treatment

Tough call, but there are no qualified vets here. It sounds like there is progress, so I would base any actions on that. Sometimes once abscesses are drained and cleaned out, they are isn't any further action required. Medications, and dry docking is up to the vet. Are you done with the gentamicin sulfate and sulfadiazine cream? Dry docking? Is there still a bump where the abscess was?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:52 pm   Re: RES Abscess Anti-biotic Treatment

Thanks for the reply!

Yes we are still dry docking and applying drops and cream.

He still has an opening in his head where the abscess was. It is healing, but it is not closed up yet. The vet looked at it and said that it is not refilling with any fluid or anything, so that is good.

My main concern is with the length of time she is recommending for the antibiotic injections. From the research I’ve done, it seems most people give their turtles Ceftazidime (Fortas) injections in a series of 10. We have already given 15 at this point, and they want us to continue for a while longer. I’m just worried that we might be overdoing it, or subjecting his body to the side effects of the antibiotics for too long. Have you ever heard of turtles getting antibiotic treatments which go on for 2-3 months continuously?
SPINSERVE

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:50 am   Re: RES Abscess Anti-biotic Treatment

I haven't kept track of the length of medicated treatments. Every situation could be different. Does he still have an appetite? How long are you dry docking him?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care