Urgent Care :: Carapace White Spots - Help me tell in-law RES needs vet!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:51 pm   Carapace White Spots - Help me tell in-law RES needs vet!

My brother-in-law (BIL) has had a pet turtle for decades and seems to think he knows exactly what she needs for care. She developed a bright white spot on the apex of her carapace over the past few months that BIL is dismissing as a scratch that will heal; I am no so certain. I will answer these questions to the best of my ability as the turtle is not mine. I believe if I show my BIL this thread, it will convince him to take his RES to the vet or amend his husbandry.

Name and sex: Miss Topsy Turtley (Topsy for short)
How big is your turtle? Shell maybe between 8-9 inches? (20-23cm)
How long have you had it? ~27 years (from hatchling)

What is the water temperature? unknown
Did you use a thermometer? no
Are you using a water heater? no
How much water is in there? unknown
Are you using a water conditioner? unknown
Are you using any filtration? yes

What is the basking temperature? Outdoors temp (turtle kept in koi "pond" outside- more of a koi tank, above ground, no soil/plants)
Is there a basking light? the sun
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes, she gets completely dry
What kind is it or what is it made out of? floating, plastic?
Is there a UVB light? the sun

What have you been trying to feed it? turtle sticks, fresh veggies, sometimes fruit or dried worms (from can)
When was the last time your turtle ate? unknown

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? unknown exactly; I would estimate the size of a bathtub, with 9 inch square floating platform
Is the tank near a window? outside
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? not much activity around pond

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? She had trouble laying a clutch back in May, so BIL took her to the vet to give her a shot to induce. Still no eggs by the next day, so vet gave her another shot. She laid eggs within a couple hours of second shot. The first bits of white started showing around this time and vet dismissed it at a scratch. Two months later, she exhibited nesting behaviors and stopped eating, but refused to lay. Then she randomly started eating again and stopped nesting behavior, so brother is reluctant to take her in for another expensive x-ray. Now the white spot has developed to the size of an American quarter and it bright white. It is hard, dry, and does not smell. There doesn't appear to be any strong pitting.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Last edited by TopsyTurtley on Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
TopsyTurtley

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:39 pm   Re: Carapace White Spots - Help me tell in-law RES needs vet

Sounds like it could be fungus, which will usually spread to all over the shell. Do you have any pictures?

This thread might be more helpful: https://www.redearslider.com/forum/view ... =5&t=10839
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:52 am   Re: Carapace White Spots - Help me tell in-law RES needs vet

I will try to add some pictures, then look at the thread you linked. I assume if it's a fungus, she ought to be taken to the vet? Thank you for your reply.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210825-234149_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210825-234130_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210825-234204_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210825-234728_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20210825-234749_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20210825-234020_Gallery.jpg
TopsyTurtley

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:01 am   Re: Carapace White Spots - Help me tell in-law RES needs vet

Overall, she looks pretty healthy but I think that might be shell rot or some sort of infection. I would definitely look into a reptile vet as I think this is more serious than a fungus infection. You're a good brother in law for taking much interest in his turtle.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:08 am   Re: Carapace White Spots - Help me tell in-law RES needs vet

I was roomies with my sister when he and Topsy moved in, so there was a period of time where we all lived together. I grew fond of Topsy as a result and feel a sense of responsibility! I will talk with BIL again and will update with vet diagnosis. Thank you for your response!
TopsyTurtley

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:38 am   Re: Carapace White Spots - Help me tell in-law RES needs vet

Have you felt the white area? Does it feel a bit rough compared to the rest of the shell?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care