Urgent Care :: Fungus infection?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:00 am   Fungus infection?

I got two turtles a little more than a week ago. They're very young, so they're about ten centimeters long each. The smaller turtle is very active, eats normally and will panic and swim away if I come close to it. The larger turtle is less active, doesn't bother to run when I come over, and eats less than the smaller one, sometimes not eating at all. For the past three to four days, however, the larger turtle has become more and more inactive, doesn't touch the water at all, and its eyes are closed every time I check on it, so that I'm unable to feed it. I thought it was sleeping, but two days since it started behaving like this, I noticed that there were yellow stuff around its eyes and between its claws that looked a little like barnacles. This prompted me to check on the smaller one; there was also yellow stuff on it but less than the other turtle. I thought that it was a fungal infection so I applied some iodine around the areas with yellow stuff and put the turtles in a dry area for a couple of hours, but all it seems to have done was make the yellow areas turn brown and deflate a little. Is the iodine working as its supposed to? Or should I try something else? (The vets in the area where I live only treat dogs and cats and the like, so not an option, unfortunately.)
California Dog

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:42 am   Re: Fungus infection?

Can you post any pictures of the infection? I haven't seen any fungus as you are describing.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:45 am   Re: Fungus infection?

California Dog

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:48 am   Re: Fungus infection?

The one in the picture is the larger one? I would try some Zoo Med turtle eye drops, though I'm not sure what the appropriate treatment would be. A soak in diluted Betadine might help, I'm not sure of what sort of topical ointment/cream you can use and make sure the water is as clean as possible. The turtles should be separated by now as well.

If the turtle can't see, he likely won't eat. A soak in some (diluted) unflavored Pedialyte and some crumbled up pellets might help get some nutrition.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care