Urgent Care :: Water too hot!!! 3 turtles dead....

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:55 pm   Water too hot!!! 3 turtles dead....

Hi
I feel sooo guilty right now.. :(
I was changing the turtle tank water with my Python..all 4 turtles were on the floating dock..so I left them there when I went to turn the water on to fill it back up after draining it...
Somehow the hot water got turned up too high and as I was dumping the water conditioner in all the turtles jumped in the water..like they usually do after a water change...I was re-adjusting the lights when I saw one turtle who was on the bottom swimming only moments before...float to the top slowly on his side!
The thermometer on the glass read 100 degrees!!! :(
I quickly scooped up all 4 turtles and ran into the bathroom...filling the sink with cool water... :(
after a few minutes I started blowing slowly in the face of one of the turtles...and he moved!!!
The rest were not responsive when I pulled gently on there feet...they didn't retract them or react at all when I placed them in the water...

So now I only have one baby..he's basking with his eyes open and head out...totally normal looking...
I just feel so so guilty...and so sad...I don't know what to do now..I hope my remaining turtle will be ok

:cry: :( :( :(
Tori-turtle

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:57 pm   

What have you done with the other two? Please don't bury/dispose of them yet. They may still come around if you put them in shallow, cool water
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:05 pm   

I am sad to say that I have already buried the little ones...I did try the cool water for about an hour before I buried them tho...I was praying so much that they would be ok...
Will this have a long term effect on my remaining turtle baby?
I really do feel so awful about this...there is nobody to blame but me....
Tori-turtle

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:17 pm   

I've never experienced anything like that so all I can really say is keep an eye on him for any odd behaviour/symptoms. I'm sorry about your loss and I don't want to aggravate your feelings any, but are you absolutely sure they were dead? One of the first signs (I'm told) is that the eyes will sink in..then, rigormortis (sp?)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:41 pm   

thats sooo sad! but i'm sure it was an accident so dont beat yourself up about it. mistakes happen, its just important that we learn from them.
kiwigerman

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:09 pm   

Well...the remaining turtle is just resting on the turtle dock...he doesn't seem interested in food at all..could this be because of the stress from the water incedent?

I really want to help him..but if he just needs to de-stress with some quiet time I would understand that...
Tori-turtle

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:55 am   

I'm so sorry to hear this happened. :( I think the turtle is stressed at the very least and his system could likely have been affected by the heat. Give him time and keep an eye on him. I wouldn't even worry that much if he doesn't want to eat for a few days...

And I don't want to second guess you or make you feel worse, but in the future, remember that a turtles heart can continue to beat for a good while even though he might appear to be dead.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:30 am   

I wonder if soaking the turtle in electrolytes might be helpful as that can be beneficial for heat stroke?
DavidY

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:48 pm   

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear this news!!!
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:43 pm   

How very sad! I hope your remaining little one pulls through. He is probably stressed and needs some peace and quiet for a few days.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:29 pm   

Thanks everyone
My remaining baby seems much better now...swimming and acting normally..he still isn't interested in food tho....
I spoke to my father about what happened with the turtles and he's giving me three hatchlings he has...he's also going to check the water heater since it shouldn't get that hot when it's on low...

I know they can't replace my other turtle babies tho :(

Sara
Tori-turtle

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:54 pm   Re: Water too hot!!! 3 turtles dead....

Sorry for your loss.

I know this thread is really old, but I’m writing this for others who may come along seeking advice. I came here looking for help because my RES overheated. Found her upside down on her shell. I put her back in her water and I thought she was dead. Limp, no movement, eyes shut. I was pushing her around in the water trying to get a reaction and nothing. Her head and body would just bang against the side, she was lifeless. Nothing I did stirred anything in her. I left, I cried, I came back home few hours later and I peeked in on her wondering when I would have the courage to accept she had passed. I was just so sad and wanted to apologize. And then I swear I saw her eye move. I left her alone and a few hours later she fully blinked. I knew she was really alive then, just hanging on.

So if anyone comes here looking for help and just happens to read all this, I would advise them to wait it out. That lifeless turtle might not be dead. There is a chance. Leave it in shallow water and wait a day or two just in case. Thankfully her water was already shallow or she could have drowned. I have since learned you should wait for the eyes to sink in and the body to smell. Cause your turtle might still be alive in that dead looking body. It’s been two days now so I’ve just been reading up on what I can do to help her along and decided I’d write this to let others know my experience. Hoping this helps someone.
artemis814pa

Return to Urgent Care