General Care Discussion :: Worried about Herbert

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:31 am   Worried about Herbert

Hello everyone, I am so excited to have found this website. I am a little worried about my shelled child Herbert. He has a little bit of pinky red slime or film around his neck and a tiny bit on his back leg. A lot of the articles I have read only talk about their skin being discolored. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much for your time.
hugandkiss2424

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:46 pm   Re: Worried about Herbert

Hi, do you have any pictures? Can the pink be wiped off? Sometimes shedding skin can look a bit pinkish.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:41 am   Re: Worried about Herbert

Hello,
I can't thank you enough for getting back to me so quickly. But I am happy to report when I got home from work this morning most of it was already gone. There is a little tiny bit on the bottom of his neck. It was hard to get a clear picture of him. But I wanted to show you him anyways because he is just so adorable I love him so much. This is my 1st turtle so I guess I overreacted a little bit. My apologies. I had just never seen that before. I'm not sure if it was the fish food. I haven't changed the fish food ever since I've been feeding him goldfish, Every once in a while. I just wanted to say thank you again for getting back to me so quickly.
Attachments
20210927_052903.jpg
20210927_052903.jpg
20210927_053041.jpg
hugandkiss2424

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:31 pm   Re: Worried about Herbert

He's a handsome turtle :) Looks like he's due for a shed as well. It would also be a good idea to remove small gravel... basically anything that can fit into his mouth. If you really want substrate, look into pool filter sand.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:24 pm   Re: Worried about Herbert

Thank you so much!!! I didn't know that. Would you mind when I get home if I took a picture of my set up and let me know if I'm doing ok? lol A coworker had this poor guy for 12 years, never named him. And when her husband left, he left him behind, she didn't take care of him and left him in a pond insert, with no light, and a tiny piece of wood to float on :( I offered to take him, I'm a big animal lover. So I've been reading and making sure I give him the best rest of his life. He is so fun. IDK if all turtles do this, but I think he knows I saved him by the way he looks and reacts to me when I come up to the tank. But like I said that could be all turtle and maybe because he's usually getting a toy or food, haha. I've had him for about 3 years now, I had no idea how attached I'd become to Herbert. Anywho, that's our little story.
Again thank you so much for any information or help. It means a lot to both of us :)
hugandkiss2424

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:31 pm   Re: Worried about Herbert

Yes, feel free to post any pictures/questions you may have. A lot of the discussion has moved over to the facebook group page, but I always check the forum :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion