Page 1 of 1

Year Old Turtle/Diet Question

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:30 am
by Bergan

Hello all,
My turtle's name is Opus. Opus is a little over 14 months old. I rescued him/her? from downtown Los Angeles June of 2006, when Opus was about the size of a 50 cent piece.
[img][img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/Bergan/Animals/opus-under-plant.jpg[/img][/img]
Opus is now much larger, and has seemed to grow rapidly. (about 5 inches long) To me, this seems excessive for a 14 mo old turtie baby. I kept the temperatures of the tank for the first year to around 82 degrees. The habitat is now currently a 40 gallon bow front (I want to upgrade to a 150 gallon soon), with a 405 fluval filter that works wonders as long as you do the little bit of the required maintanence. I try to keep the water temp at 78, and have a sunnning dock with light that stays in the low 90's that he uses at least once a day. I offer Opus fresh romaine lettuce and basil every day, and every 2-3 days feed some reptomin pellets. Every month I give Opus a treat ie: 8 small guppies or a dozen crickets. I haven't been able to find a correct feeding guide for an adolesent turtle, as it leaves the infant stage and grows to adult hood. Does this seem correct what I am doing? I know you aren't supposed to tell for about 4 years, but is Opus perhaps a female and that's what is causing the more rapid growth? Does his shell look ok? Opus will sleep every night under water.
Here are two pictures of Opus yesterday, one crawling around the apartment for a few hours (I try to let him crawl around at least once a week), then another of resting on the sun dock tuckered out. :P
[img][img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/Bergan/Animals/DSCN2560.jpg[/img][/img]
Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:34 am
by untsmurf
Wow that's a big boy! Although, if you say he's five inches long, then I think you might have a girl.

Are you sure you're measuring him correctly? You measure from just behind the neck to just about the tail (without the curve).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:37 am
by Tenodera
Congrats, Opus is a girl! It's under 4 inches, not under 4 years! lol and she looks bigger than 4 inches!

She has a VERY nice shell, no pyramiding at all! I can still see her baby scutes! lol.

I had the same question a while back, My 7 month old River cooter Was 1 and half and inch when I got him and now he's 3 inches.

Do you still have gravel in your tank? If so, you should take it out. Turtles can eat it and it might cause death

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:44 am
by lindat3270
Hi everyone my name is Linda just wanted to introduce myself, i'm a proud mom of 2 sliders both i believe to be females....I rescued mine from a factory in Lebanon Tn the guys were being mean and trying to kill them i brought them home and took care of them, i had planned on releasing them back in the wild, they were the size of a nickle and quarter i wanted them to get big enough for them to make it on their own (in my mind) but they bonded with me, they'd get excited when i walk towards the tank i was like geesh cant give em up now that was 3 yrs ago they walked in my life, they are happy as larks...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:47 am
by Tenodera
ooh awesome! Welcome to the forum!

lol why did you introduce yourself in this thread?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:49 am
by lindat3270
Well i'm still a posting virgin i hadn't a clue LoL but i was reading the page and said well heck better place then any...I'm still not sure im doing this correct

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:50 am
by Smoofish268
Opus is a lovely turtle! It sounds like you've got a good start with your turt - usually turtles grow 4 inches in their first year. I agree with the others - Opus definitely looks like a female.

As for feeding, the romaine is good, but turtles need variety in their diet with different veggies, fruits, and water plants. Here's a link to the feeding section of this website which is a great read: http://www.redearslider.com/index_nutrition.html

The whole main section of the website has an abundance of info and I definitely recommend reading through everything! Glad to have you and Opus on the boards!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:02 pm
by SpotsMama
Since you're the proud mom of a female turtle, you should get acquainted with egg laying. A female will lay eggs even if there's no male present - like a chicken. Here's some reading on the subject if you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.redearslider.com/reproduction.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:29 pm
by lindat3270
oh gawd i do have alot to learn thx LoL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:06 pm
by Opus
ANOTHER OPUS???????are that guy from youtube bergan??????that big turtle is like opus's big sister :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:11 pm
by SpotsMama
Ha! We now have Big Opus and Little Opus on the forum!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:38 pm
by Opus
And there is only 1 inches in differences..........and yes spots mama,their really is a big opus!and a little opus :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:54 pm
by marisa
linda3270, your joining the forum is very much welcome, but it really would be better to introduce yourself in the section for introductions. :)