Page 1 of 1
turtle sleeping??

Posted:
Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:08 pm
by emma
my turtle was up on the turtle dock today and had its eyes shut...he has never done this before. Could the turtle be getting sick or something??

Posted:
Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:29 pm
by powerofvoodoo
I doubt it, Donatello used to sleep on her dock every night before I upgraded her tank and she didn't have a little hiding spot on basking area anymore.
I think it's kind of the equivalent of us falling asleep while tanning outside.

Posted:
Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:50 pm
by Tenodera
It could be. Does it have any other symptoms?

Posted:
Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:20 pm
by megcornell
Sometimes when turtles are really relaxed while basking they close their eyes. It's normal.

Posted:
Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:12 pm
by SpotsMama
Just stay alert for other symptoms - poor appetite, lethargy, yawning a lot or breathing with the mouth open, swollen eyes, mucus around the mouth or nose. These are symptoms of a respiratory infection. A sick turtle may not show all these symptoms.

Posted:
Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:44 pm
by Sweet Lavender
I think it's quite normal because most of the time I see my turtles bask, both of them shut their eyes. I think they're sleeping while enjoying the warmth... haha.
- Lavender