Page 1 of 1

Oh god, help me...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:36 pm
by tennisnut
I had just figured out how to care for the two RES that I'm babysitting...and a friend bought me a Mississipi Map Turtle as my birthday present. I've looked online to find care stuff, but haven't seen anything that helpful.

He/she is about 5".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:42 pm
by Starchick
I think a few people on here have them.

Here's a basic care sheet: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/c ... pi_map.htm

Also, get yourself signed up on www.turtleforum.com This site is pretty specific to red ear sliders, and while many of the members have other kinds and might be able to help you, the other forum has a much wider array of experience. Consider using both forums to get the best possible information.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:43 pm
by megcornell
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/c ... pi_map.htm
Here's some info from austin's turtle page.
It's important you don't let him near the RES, all new turtles should be quarantined, and the size difference is too large for them to safely interact.
It looks like you should get the largest tank you can for the map, like a RES they are an investment in terms of the cost of setting them up. If you're not up to it, you can probably return him to the breeder or pet store.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:13 pm
by emma
map turtles are really cool! I have one as a pet too but mine is only a hatchling that is about 1 inch or less.

Ok...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:27 pm
by tennisnut
Phew, thanks for the advice. Right now the poor guy is relaxing in a 10 gallon tub until I get him actual tank. =/

I mean, I already love him to bits, but I wish my friend had given me a heads up so I could have had a setup ready for him. He thought I could keep him in the baby RES tank! @.@

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:53 pm
by megcornell
Turtles really are easy to fall in love with, they're so adorable especially as hatchlings.
I don't think people think about all the work involved when they buy animals as gifts, but I'm glad you're doing your research so you can get your new guy all the right things.
When you go out to buy stuff I'd go for the largest tank you can afford to save on upgrades.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:51 am
by industrial_girl_2000
Congrats on the new addition! Turts are great. I have had my current adult RES, Sheba, for over 17 yrs and it is amazing how they get used to you after such a long time. :)

Enjoy all your research/reading. At first, turtle-keeping may seem really hard, but it isn't once you get the hang of it. Post some pics of your new "kid" when you get a chance! :)