Page 1 of 1

Water treatment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:56 pm
by DanM
I bought "Start Right" brand water conditioner with Allantoin skin protectant in it. It's used for fresh and saltwater fish, but I picked it up as I was in need. It "reduces stress, removes chlorine and chloramine, neutralizes harmful metals, stimules fish slime naturally, and adds beneficial electrolytes". Contains chlorides of sodium and potassium, allantoin, and polyvinylpyrrolidone (what a name!).

Should this be OK to add to my turtles' water?
I don't need a reply saying "oh, you should just buy X" or any sort of guesswork, just a straight answer on if it will be ok for them or if it will harm them, please.

Thanks ahead of time, it's much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:32 am
by Cramer
sure. I use the Tetra, er..AquaSafe? It's the yellow bottle. Anyway, most of that stuff doesn't matter with turtles. It will help soften the water, which makes you glass look nicer among other things.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:37 am
by BullDog
I've got one that has a somewhat similar description of that, "protects scales with natural oils". When I'm starting my tank, I usually just use short of their recomended dose.
You could do that if you're a bit worried about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:47 am
by megcornell
That will be fine, but a lot of times conditioners with "stress coats'' in them will leave a film on the water, just so you know.