Page 1 of 3
Putting turtle out of its misery

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm
by PcBuilder14
I'm going to somehow kill it the least painful way possible, because now on all of its edges of the shell there looks to be internal bleeding and he is getting worse and worse. You all may hate me for doing this, but it's killing me to watch a turtle slowly die. It's hard enough to write this, but does anybody know of a way to put it out of its misery easily?


Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:44 pm
by Lucky and Lucy Tortuga
what's wrong??? what happened? good luck. so sad to hear this!

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:48 pm
by SpotsMama
Take it to a vet - any vet will do - and ask to have him humanely euthanized.

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:54 pm
by littlecakes
Take it to a vet PLEASE. Even if only to euthanize it. I realize you have been saying all along that your parents won't pay for a vet but please try to imagine any and all sorts of ways you could kill it, then put yourself in your turtles shoes and imagine having that done to you. Any kind of "Mercy Killing" outside of having it done by a veterinarian is most likely going to be painful or botched and thus a prolonged agony. Not to mention the fact that it will hurt your soul if you love your turtle.
Are there any members on here close enough to take this turtle to be euthanized properly if it really is so far gone that it cannot be rehabbed????

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:51 pm
by PcBuilder14
No I don't think there is anyone close enough to take it out of my hands on here, and I was wondering how much it would cost to euthinize it?

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:14 pm
by littlecakes
The cost will vary widely. If there is a humane society shelter near you, you can call and ask if they will euthanize animals per owners request and how much it will cost. If you can find a legitimate humane society near you, this should be the cheapest option. Otherwise, google "maud, texas, veterinary" and call clinics near you and just ask to see if there is one that is doable.

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:16 pm
by raverqueenage
if it comes down to an issue of money, maybe you can go to a local vet with the turtle in a box, with a note saying the problem and that you feel it should be put down, then bring it in, give it to the receptionist saying you found it near by and leave. I have seen this done many times. I know it's not the best way to go, but it's better then you "doing the deed" yourself and having to remember that for the rest of your life. I wish you were near by so I could take him for you. I have a great vet who would probably try and save it on his own dime too.
PLEASE don't do it yourself. It deserves better even if it is dying.


Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:37 pm
by Bumby's Mom
Ummm a vet? You don't have the right to kill an animal just because you think it is dying.

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:38 pm
by raverqueenage
Bumby's Mom wrote:You don't have the right to kill an animal just because you think it is dying.
ditto.


Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:40 pm
by Chrisbarnett
Is there any normal animal vet near you? Just your average simple pet vet. They should be able to euthanize it.

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:47 pm
by PcBuilder14
I'll call tomorrow and see if they can and how much it costs. The place I got the turtle from is right across from the vet. I hope tey can do it. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking that he's in my room dying.

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:20 pm
by jacqui
I agree with what some others have said drop it off and say you found it if you cant part with the money, good luck

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:48 pm
by zoologist
Biting my tongue, i'm just going to bite my tongue.....


Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:00 pm
by Nettle
zoologist wrote:Biting my tongue, i'm just going to bite my tongue.....

Please do.

Posted:
Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:03 pm
by PcBuilder14
Someone said I should take it back to the pet store I got it from and give it back to them. It isn't really the money that's the problem for me its just that I don't have any money.