Page 1 of 1
Sulfurous water???

Posted:
Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:56 pm
by Tortugasmom
I just moved into a new house where we have well water.
The thing is, the well was built on top of a sulfur deposit in the ground.
It smells a bit farty...lol...well, it's true. I was just curious weather this water would be dangerous, as I assume it is...for my turtles tank.
It's not safe for human consumption, so I am assuming it wouldn't be safe for my baby.
A friend of mine had all of his fish drop dead in 5 minutes.

Posted:
Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:59 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
I would go with your gut on this one and not use it for your turtle. There may be an advanced filtration system for removing the sulfur, but if you were going to go that route, I would have the water tested extensively before introducing it.

Posted:
Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:14 pm
by xfueledbykatie
i just wanted to say that your signature thingy is epicness times ten.

Posted:
Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:51 pm
by Tortugasmom
Thank you ComputerGremlin, I'm just going to stick with bottled water.
I wouldn't even want to chance it.
And xFueledbyKatie...thanks for the compliment, lol. I thought it was pretty funny myself.

Posted:
Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:51 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
If bottled water becomes too expensive, my in-laws have water that isn't fit for human consumption also and they go to a family member's house and fill up water jugs for cooking and whatnot. If you have a friend or family member nearby, you could see about getting water from there, it will save you a few bucks.

Posted:
Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 pm
by Tortugasmom
You know, our water is actually safe to cook with....the sulfur boils out I guess, but everyone here cooks with it, they just don't drink it.
I could go to someone else's house and fill up buckets of water though, that's a good idea. Thanks

Posted:
Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:11 am
by taurusgirl
my grandma has the same water and i thought nothing of it and used it for my turtle for about a 2 months and he is fine but i used the outside water the same water their horses drink from