Page 1 of 1

moving turtle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:53 pm
by mpittm7
hey, I am moving tom and its about a 10 hour drive... How long can my turlte go without being in water?

He is only about an inch and a half. I am going to put him in a shoebox with wet newspaper in it. I will also have the digital thermometer reading what the temp is in there.

Anyone have any suggestions on how long he can go like that without being in water?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:58 pm
by ScrewZoo
He can be a good day without water but i think you should have something with water just for occasional drinks to stay hydrated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:12 am
by LeslieMW
maybe instead of the shoebox use a baking pan with some water? but the thermometer is a good idea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 am
by mpittm7
i just followed what they said on the site http://www.redearslider.com/transportation.html

but the site doesn't list how long he should be dry for

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:43 am
by joeybsmooth
Can you give us a picture of TOmmy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:09 pm
by Sk8gal
joeybsmooth wrote:Can you give us a picture of TOmmy


I think he meant tom as in TOMorrow lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:13 pm
by megcornell
When I transported my turtle across the country she was fine in the car for 8-10 hours a day (we drove a two day trip to Colorado). At night, as soon as we pulled into the hotel I gave her a 10 gallon tank to swim in.

For your turtle, she should be fine for the trip. You can occassionally mist her if she seems too dry. For the most part, mine slept.
Don't use newspaper though, it will become a mess. I used two washcloths- one damp (but not wet) one on the bottom, and then I gave my turtle a second one on top for her to burrow into.
Also, since your turtle is so small you may want to use a smaller container so she'll feel more secure and won't have as much room to roam and flip over and get stressed out. I bought a "critter keeper" from a petstore and it worked great.
Finally, make sure you don't leave her in the car when you take long pitstops, like to eat. In the summer, the car will overheat and reptiles can't regulate their body temps, so it won't take long to kill her.

Take a look at the transportation link mpittm7 left you, it has other good info on it.