Page 1 of 2

Identify my turtle please...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:07 am
by Azfar
I just got this new turtle from the person who no longer can taking care of his turtle.. I dunno what kind of turtle is this.. but she (i think) is so cute where she got striking yellow stripes at her head and neck.. cool.. hehe.. she is about 11 month.. she also can completely hide herself inside the shell! not like RES, still can see they legs and nose.. this one everything get inside the shell~!

Does anyone know about this turtle? I want to know more about this turtle.. Here some pictures of the turtles (no name yet).. :wink:

Image

Image

I think is a she because the tail is short..
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Owh ya, I think she also got some shell issue... physically the structure of the shell looks good but the condition of the shell doesn't show its good.. what do you think? theres a lot of golden dot dot..

Dry shell
Image

Image

Underwater.. can see more clear the goldenish dot dot..
Image

Image

Last but not least... cute turtle~!
Image

I really want this turtle... Since I already had 4 RES... so I really wanted to have atleast one of different kind of turtle..

Any advices, comments, suggestions? Theres a lot of question I want to ask but first thing of all I want to know what kind of this turtle.. :D

Thank you~!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:54 am
by Kemul
I can't help you, but I'd like to say that it is definitely a cute turtle :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:17 pm
by untsmurf
I have absolutely no idea what she is, but she's very beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:52 pm
by Chrisbarnett
That looks like some species of box turtle to me.

Just like the one Tenodera has.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:48 pm
by mat012
Just a guess - maybe a mud turtle? Three-stripe mud turtle?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:52 pm
by Simba
I agree that she is just too cute! I love the lines around the mouth that make it look like happy clown lipstick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:09 pm
by mat012

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:12 pm
by untsmurf
I think the Malayan Box Turtle!! It matches the coloration and the description.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:22 pm
by Chrisbarnett
i'd go with malayan box as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:30 pm
by Bumby's Mom
Yea it definitely looks like some sort of boxie.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:15 pm
by mat012
Here is a forum post with some good links in it re: mayan box turtles. It seems as they age they move from being nearly completely aquatic to enjoying more marsh-like environments with shallow water. They also are worm eaters - ooooo!!! I have looked for more pics and I think it is the box turtle too. It may be shedding?? could be why it has the yellow spots?

http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload ... opic=89808

Let us know if you keep him. I also hope some other folks who are better at ID post too. It would be good to know if we are right :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:35 pm
by spaceapple
Super cute turtle; she looks like she's smiling!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:56 pm
by gt5268
Yes it looks to be a malayan box turtle.Very cute!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:31 pm
by steve
Great that it's a native turtle too.

I think Melissa nailed it. Good link as well (they have the links I was going to post as well :P)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 am
by mzkitty23
she is soooo cute!