Page 1 of 1

Cuttlebone in the water

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:19 am
by nT)Gauss
Hello again, I've been feeding my two turtles cuttlebone every other day. When Euclid and Gauss eat the cuttlebone, they take in pieces, but also a lot of white poofs out of their mouth as they chomp it. Slowly in a corner away from the filter a small pile of cuttlebone powder accumulates. Is this itself bad for the water or them? And also since I've introduced cuttlebone to their diet they have developed white linines between their scutes. The white rubs off easily, and I've gathered it is just the powder cuttlebone as they swm through it before it settles. Does this cause any harm to them? Will it absorb into their shell anyways?
Thanks :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:02 am
by megcornell
My turtle does the same thing. In fact, I think the only reason she eats it is that she's amused by breaking it down.

There's no harm in letting the cuttlebone accumulate in the tank, it won't hurt anything. And if it gets on their shells, it won't get absorbed, but it won't be harmful either.