Page 1 of 2

HELP ME!! Lost RES

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:46 pm
by k9ck024
I dont know where should I put this topic.....anyways

I let my 4-5 inches RES wander in a container to get some sun and exercise. I left it out for at least 1-2 hours. Well, this afternoon, it climbed out the container and disappeared. I have looked everywhere (bushes, grass, plants, neighborhood etc)....everywhere!

Is there any other ways that I can look for him? Is there a way to attract it to come back home? Where does RES mostly hide?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:09 pm
by Raphulk
if there are some soft soil spots you should check for holes
did you have him in the front yard or back yard?

is the area he was in contained (fences etc)?

if you let him out in the open, with no fences, your best luck would be to put out a bowl of water and play the waiting game

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:41 pm
by bradmeisel
you might want to try putting out some tuna or other food that is very smelly. good luck -- i hope your little guy comes home

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:35 am
by SpotsMama
He may dig down into the soft ground to hide, or hide under a pile of leaves or under a bush. Don't give up - keep looking. I hope you get him back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:33 pm
by bigG
I lost a young female RES and never found her. However, I met a friend who was giving away a young male RES. Now the male and my female have become the best of friends. I have noticed that as my female gets older she has grown accustomed to staying around. In fact, she doesn't leave the back patio (of course, I now keep a close eye on her) and when she's done romping around she goes to the door and begs to come in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:52 pm
by k9ck024
Raphulk wrote:if there are some soft soil spots you should check for holes
did you have him in the front yard or back yard?

is the area he was in contained (fences etc)?

if you let him out in the open, with no fences, your best luck would be to put out a bowl of water and play the waiting game


1) Yes I put in the front yard

2) No fence, gate etc just open space

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:53 pm
by k9ck024
bradmeisel wrote:you might want to try putting out some tuna or other food that is very smelly. good luck -- i hope your little guy comes home


How far can RES smell? Are they good smeller?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:33 pm
by ch12ag
i agree with bradmeisel, put some tuna about, its a smelly food that if he comes across will eat. if ur worried about him coming across the tuna put it in a few spots around ur garden. is there a pond nearby? after a while he will need to rehydrate...i hope u find him i remember when i let terrance out for a walk in the garden and he climbed between the gap under ours and our neighbours fence luckily i got a hold of him before he went all the way over. im sure he will be fine, and hope u find him soon...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:05 pm
by bradmeisel
not sure how far they can smell ... but maybe try making a warm spot and a towel or something for him to hide in ... also put water and food nearby and hopefully he will find you

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:49 am
by k9ck024
Just let you guys know I live in drive. Do you think it will still work after 3 days?

I live similar like this house area (my neighbor)

http://mlsimages.movoto.com/12/054/40336554_0.jpg


Its hard to look at the area around it but just give you an idea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:54 am
by ch12ag
thats quite open put it out just in case or maybe go for a walk in the day time and keep your eyes peeled but look carefully at areas with water cos he would need to re-hydrate at some point

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:13 am
by steve
Here is the page on lost turtles: www.redearslider.com/lost_turtle.html

You need to keep looking, check under bushes and even your neighbor's yards too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:52 pm
by marisa
Don't know where you're located, but I'm assuming it's warm where you are. If you left him in an open space, he probably walked until he found a space where he could feel safe (i.e., covered). Either he's somewhere nearby, or he's walked on. Look around foundations of houses, bushes, gardens, etc. Any brooks or ponds relatively nearby? He could have gone there. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:29 pm
by k9ck024
bradmeisel wrote:not sure how far they can smell ... but maybe try making a warm spot and a towel or something for him to hide in ... also put water and food nearby and hopefully he will find you


If I put food nearby I wouldn't know if it's my RES who ate or other animals

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:36 pm
by k9ck024
marisa wrote:Don't know where you're located, but I'm assuming it's warm where you are. If you left him in an open space, he probably walked until he found a space where he could feel safe (i.e., covered). Either he's somewhere nearby, or he's walked on. Look around foundations of houses, bushes, gardens, etc. Any brooks or ponds relatively nearby? He could have gone there. Good luck.


Yes it's quite warm, sometimes in the winter. At day it goes as high as 60 degrees 50 at lowest. At night highest is around 40s lowest is high 30s (but usually not).....there is no brooks or pond nearby.....How far do you think RES would travel in cold weather. Do you think it's likely they'll survive?