Page 1 of 1

floating poop?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:37 pm
by Rosepruner
My turtle that I've had for about 3 weeks now suddenly in the last two days has started to poop floating poop. I've been feeding him reptomin pellets and dark green leafy veggies. I gave him a cricket yesterday after scrubbing him (he's got alittle bit of shell rot going)

He's also been scratching at the right side of his face a little... should I take him to a vet? and save the poop sample? when saving a poop sample what exactly do you keep it in?

This all very weird because until now he seemed pretty good, aside from being upset about being scrubbed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:07 pm
by octpusgirl8
Have you been giving him more veggies than normal? A sudden increase in veggies can make loose poop. If he's got shell rot, i'd definitely take him to the vet to have it checked out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:44 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
Yes, a vet's visit is probably your best option at this point. The shell rot needs treatment, and the scratching is a little odd.

To answer your questions, keep the poo in a plastic storage container or plastic bag. You can just place it in there, no need for water really. Definitely save the poo, the floating one and if you can get a normal one as well.

As for your last statement, turtles are awesome at hiding their illnesses. Some turtles are even completely healthy up until they just pass away. Not good. By time a turtle starts showing that they are sick, they are pretty far gone. So be happy that he's still pretty normal!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 pm
by ESG4Life
Don't turtles rub against things because they like it too?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:19 pm
by Rosepruner
well, good news, he's going to the vet on Monday. I called the vet this morning after discovering that the spot that I've been home remedying because I didn't think it was too bad is worse then it initially looked and it's definately painful for him when I lightly applied pressure it oozed a clear liquid and was soft and he acted like it hurt a great deal. So thus he's going to the vet I think that he needs a visit to the vet. Besides, it's good to get new turtles checked out at the vet anyway.