General Care Discussion :: Turtle quacking?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 pm   Turtle quacking?

I have 2 res a little more than 1 year old each. David, the older of the 2, goes onto his basking spot, moves his head around, and makes this quacking noise. He will keep doing it a bunch of times but only out of the water never while he is in the water. It is odd and I was wondering if anybody ever experienced this before or knows why he would do this?
jpit008

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:40 pm   

Jp-08 -- Sometimes when they are having a hard time breathing they will make a noise. Mine have never made a quacking noise, but a noise when trying to breath. I would suggest that you keep an eye on him and maybe raise the water temp up to 80 for a short time and see if that is the issue. Good Luck! b.
Bascomb

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:32 pm   

Does he do it right when he gets out of the water? I know sometimes they make loud breathing noises from exertion after a long swim or activity.
RyanJ

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 pm   

I don't think its a breathing thing. I already keep the water temp at 79 degrees. It almost looks like he moves his head left or right then pulls his head in a little and out comes this noise. I can see him breathe and it is not matching. Do turtles make mating calls at all?
jpit008

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:29 pm   

no. turtles do not make noise. any noise not associated with a hiss is usually a sign of a respitory infection and in fact i would bet my left leg that thats what he has. you need to seperate your turtles if they are not already raise the water temp to about 82 and find a herp vet immediately and get him checked out. RI is fatal if not taken care of asap.
~amy

Rolo- Female RES 3-4 years ~ lives away from home now :(

Jim- Fiance
Dein211

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:12 pm   

I've heard croaking noises before, but that was when they were outside in warm weather.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:17 pm   

Dein211 wrote:no. turtles do not make noise. any noise not associated with a hiss is usually a sign of a respitory infection and in fact i would bet my left leg that thats what he has. you need to seperate your turtles if they are not already raise the water temp to about 82 and find a herp vet immediately and get him checked out. RI is fatal if not taken care of asap.

I disagree that the only noise turtles make is a hissing noise and that any other noise is a sign of a respiratory disease. I've had my RES for 2 yrs now and about 2 weeks after I first got her, she was making a meowing sound like a baby kitten. And no I don't have any kittens, cats, birds, dogs...anything. She is my only pet! She only did it for about 10 minutes (not 10 minutes straight, but a few times within 10 minutes). Talk about freaky! I'm staring at a turtle that's meowing like a kitten! I was a brand new owner and called PetCo and talked to the turtle guy there and he said that he's always heard about this and has always wanted to hear turtles do it but never has and that it's just a way of them to "talk" but that it's very rare for them to do this and that they usually only do this noise for a short time on a certain day. Well, she didn't make the noise again until about a year later and it lasted for about 1 1/2 minutes. Now....that same time of year is rolling by again and you better believe I'll be paying attention and listening for it again. So, I'm not sure about your turtle but hope my story eases your mind a little.
Kelly
Mom of Fiona...3-4 yr old RES
fiona's_mama

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:14 pm   Re: Turtle quacking?

ok, my turtle on many occasions is doing the quacking thing. it has happened when he is basking and he goes through this ritual of putting his head down, and making a little "front claw music" much like you would if you were playing a washboard and then he quacks .... i can't tell for the life of me if he is male/female....because the books say "his nose is much longer or shorter than a females" if it is a male...thanks a lot einstein....if i don't know if it is a male or a female, how can i compare noses? or tail lengths? it is interesting to me how people tell you things so matter of factly when they know it....and then you are not too bright if you don't "get it..." like the nails..."the front nails of the male are much longer than that of the females (see?) and it is hard to tell until 2-3 years of age..."....ok, well, too bad ...his name is mr. turtle and i hope i am not screwing him up psychologically because i don't know if he is mr. or ms....and i have wanted to get another turtle, but don't want babies....so, there goes that idea as well....if i have to wait until the turtle is 2-3 to tell and i get a baby from the pet store, then that won't work either....life is too difficult. so mr. turtle does quack, all you people out there that say they don't make noise, you are incorrect. and there is nothing wrong with him....all you can say is that YOUR turtles don't make noises. mine does. mr. turtle quacks. see ya.
mr.turtle

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:17 pm   Re: Turtle quacking?

oh yeah, and he hissed at me when i moved him from one room to another....trust me, i was way more scared than he was ... he is big and i didn't want to drop him or lose a digit....i wore black leather gloves (like that would make a difference if he bit me...right...? but i didn't want him to slip and he just slid his neck out so so so far, turned around, looked me in the face and hissed. i was like, oh well, hiss then,,,,but i have to do this....

the pet store says he is a male and that the quacking i referred to in an earlier comment was a mating call. i am not sure if that is correct, but i slipped on something a little more comfortable and he quacked some more (HAHA).....anyhow, that's about it on the turtle noises from yours truly....hope i didn't offend anyone, but he quacks and he hisses. i am glad he doesn't meow like that other guys turtle does....i am very interactive with him and sing him the mr. turtle song. he likes it...i can tell...i talk to him all the time and if i ignore him, he gets quite bitchy.
mr.turtle

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 am   Re: Turtle quacking?

Lol I wan't a relationship like that with my turtle! :P
Pets:
Izzy- 2.5 inch 1 year old cooter turtle
Rizzu- 1 inch 6 months old cooter turtle
Kurby-1.5 inch cooter turtle(R.I.P)
Rebble- 4 year old boxer dog

pics of kurby
http://imgur.com/a/VwYfx#3
kerby

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:38 am   Re: Turtle quacking?

In my short stint as a RES owner (4 months) I have witnessesed my turt making a noise but cant really describe the sound. But it happened during the time he had RI. Before and after the RI I have no longer heard him make any noise. I would say look for any other signs of RI. The sound to me felt like he was suffering or in pain.
darla1699

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:35 pm   Re: Turtle quacking?

Mine croaks sometimes. He's always done this. It was def. weird the first couple of times.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:25 pm   Re: Turtle quacking?

someone at a pet place told me that the turtle that i thought originally was a boy was a girl (of course after i get used to calling him/her "mr. turtle"....i have looked at the tail info on the site and i can't distinguish his/her tail as one or the other...can anyone help me ... cause i was thinking of getting a larger tank and another turtle, but not until i can type him/her....dont want babies ...the nails are the same....they are longer than the female ones pictured on the site and shorter than the mail....could he/she be "bi"...haha....bad joke, but its been a bad day....thanks you guys!!
mr.turtle

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:13 pm   Re: Turtle quacking?

Can you post pictures of them? The underside of the tail, nails on front claws and their noses.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:39 am   Re: Turtle quacking?

Both of mine "Quacks" or "Croaks". Its normally when they are basking similar to turtles in the wild on a warm day like Steve mentioned. Not sure if its a mating thing or just happiness.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
Listen97

Next

Return to General Care Discussion