Page 1 of 1
putting fish in my tank

Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:32 pm
by jmendez035
i just bought a 55 gal tank for my RES and she is lonely is there any fish i could put in there/ decorations thanks

Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:10 pm
by Rubicon
Yes just take a look at the car sheet and it shows a few RES safe fish. Either way they 90% of the time end up as snacks.

Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:30 pm
by Bascomb
J-035 -- Yes you can put fish in the tank, but there is a , fact of life,: turtles like to eat fish. With one or two gulps or nibble it to death. Some fish last longer than others but sooner or later the fish will end up eaten.
Again, fact of life. b.

Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:46 pm
by Linus
Try and getting Minnows, depending on how fast and and how vicious your turtle hunts, you can choose if you want to spend money on a more expensive fish like a Pleco. I have a pleco with my turtle and they are just fine together. Been over 6 months without any injuires or deaths. The stange thing is my turtle is a great hunter and will destroy miinnows.

Posted:
Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:56 am
by MoreBloodWine
Good luck with Fish, Niko had two rosies in his tank then one dissapeared then a month later the second dissapear. I seriously doubt they died and got gobbles by the filter bec I looked everywhere and fond no body parts heh.
So ya, they might last for a while but wont last long less you have a few hiding spots for them but as for what fish to use, Rosy Red Minnows seem to be the forum favorite.
HOW MANY FISH

Posted:
Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:51 pm
by MY SIMON/SIMONE
HI THERE. On this same topic: I've had seven or eight minnows in the tank for about two months. We started with 12 but five disappeared within a few days. Today a friend brought me 12 small goldfish. My concerns is that I have a 55 gal. tank filled to about 5 inches from the top. SIMONE, my 5 inch RES, is in with these fish. Do I have too many fish here to be comfortable for Simone? They are great exercise for her. She races around the tank. Ironically it's the minnows that are the most danger to the goldfish. They chase them and attempt to bite them. The tank is Simone"s first and I don't want her to be stressed or crowded. Does anyone have any experience with this?


Posted:
Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:25 pm
by geekyturtle
I wouldn't put all the goldfish in the tank at the same time. The nutrition info page says they're fatty and not really healthy for turtles. I'd put them in a separate tank and maybe put one a month in for the turtle to play with and eventually eat.

Posted:
Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 pm
by rturtle1
zebra fish are small and fast. its hard for my 5 inch turtle to eat them because there always above the speed limit!haha


Posted:
Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:07 pm
by Caphits
Lucky. Mine only survived for like an hour.


Posted:
Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:10 pm
by MY SIMON/SIMONE
I know what you are talking about rturtle1. The guppies and goldfish that I have can travel at lightening speed. Simone is really fast but she can't quite catch them. She searches through all the greenery and plants but they always see her coming. Plus I think she's really well fed (maybe too much) so she just enjoys the chase but not the snack. Some of the guppies have gotten big enough that I'm not sure she could eat them if she caught them. She attacked the first few guppies that we put in the tank and then seemed to lose interest. They seem to do alot of bottom feeding so hopefully they will help to keep the tank clean.

Posted:
Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:07 pm
by mackadocious
i've put multiple guppies, minnows, goldfish in my tank over the years and they all got eaten within 2 weeks, max.....i did add 2 cichlids 1 1/2 years ago...one died in the first month or 2 (natural death) but the other one is still alive and well....i've never even seen it get chased.....i have seen freddy the fish nip at the turtle a couple of times before when she got too close to him and actually ran away from the fish--think cat/dog interaction.....pretty funny, though i'm always surprised when i find freddy after not seeing him for a few days...i always figure patsy finally decided to eat him...