Page 1 of 1
Hi, turtles attacking each other?

Posted:
Sat May 02, 2009 4:51 pm
by pandally2panda
My friend has two turtles and she told me that once they got a bit older, they started fighting alot, and the bigger one bit off the smaller one's leg. is that possible? cuz i have two turtles and i dont' want them to end up like that. and also, i heard that you should clip your turtle's nails once they get too long, is that something i should do?

Posted:
Sat May 02, 2009 5:03 pm
by Sassamo
Yes turtles fight, and yes they can seriously can hurt and even kill each other. I hope your friend seperated them...
Res are aggressive by nature and fighting is common. Buying the largest enclosur you can get 150gallon(minimum) or bigger would be ideal.
Cutting nails is not recomended, I suppose if you would like them cut you should go too a good herp vet who knows what they are doing. Long nails on a male is considered their best feature lol

Posted:
Sat May 02, 2009 9:16 pm
by bigG
I guess I am lucky because my two RES (female and male) do not fight. The female is very aggressive but has never really hurt the male. In fact, she tends to act more like a big sister or mother. She will occasionaly "scold" him or "push" him away. They often share the basking rock or even take turns. But, if I saw any aggression with any serious fighting or bodily harm, I would have to separate them.