Page 1 of 1
Throat movement??

Posted:
Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:44 pm
by Jeff
So I'm not sure if this is normal? But I noticed tonight that when Baxter is underwater his bottom jaw/lip is moving?? It's almost as if he's swallowing? I think that's the best way to describe it..He doesn't open his mouth, his throat is just moving....I've had him now for 2 full days and he's doing great...this just worries me...is it normal?? Thanks for any advice!


Posted:
Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:45 pm
by Jeff
OH and I forgot....no bubbles either....

Posted:
Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 pm
by BullDog
Does his mouth open ever so slightly? Not enough to see inside, but enough to see his "lips" move?
Lots of RES seem to do this (both mine do). I think they're sort of constantly tasting their surroundings by drawing in a bit of water.

Posted:
Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 pm
by untsmurf
Or does it look like a frog's throat? Like he's inhaling?

Posted:
Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:38 pm
by Jeff
Yes! His "lips" do kind of open...but not really....barely cracked....and when he's sticking his nose above water it looks like his "throat" is puffing out....almost like a bullfrog does....

Posted:
Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:47 pm
by untsmurf
I think the throat puffing is to take in air and to help him float, my turtle does it all the time. And i think the lips moving thing is him tasting the water. Not sure on that though. I've seen my turtle do it from time to time as well, i think.

Posted:
Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:52 pm
by Jeff
Awww well that definitely makes me feel better....thanks for your help guys...I really do appreciate it!

Posted:
Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:40 am
by theartbook35
They like to taste water from time to time. All turtles do it.
Kind of reminds me of pacman, for some reason.
When they puff their throat, they are basically pulling air into their mouths and holding it. Remember, they don't breathe underwater like fish do.
Dangerous insecticide?

Posted:
Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:19 pm
by nikola
IGNORE THIS POST
HI,
I have a big problem with mosquitoes so I'll have to use "Raid" mosquito protection which contains Transfluthrin.
Is it safe for my RES to be in the same room where this thing is turned on?

Posted:
Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:54 pm
by marisa
Welcome. If you made this a new thread, you'd get more of a response.

Posted:
Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:29 pm
by nikola
Sorry.. :S
I didn't eve realized that I have posted it as a reply...