Page 1 of 1
Water turning green :s

Posted:
Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:12 pm
by Sen5es
For some reason, after I bought this plastic aquatic plant for my 10gallon setup the water keeps turning green and there's this very viscous green stuff that starts to accumulate on the bottom. When I take the plastic plant out for a wash it seems like the colours are fading away. Can this be dangerous for my turtle? Is this normal since the product is new?
I bought it at the pet store, it is an aquatic plant by Hagen.

Posted:
Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:30 pm
by marisa
I'v'e never heard of a plastic aquatic plant by a known company like Hagan turning the water green. From your description, especially the green stuff at the bottom, it sounds like your tank has algae.
Did you rinse the plant before you put it in the tank? When you wash it are you using any kind of soap or detergent? If so, don't. After rinsing it and making sure it's clean (you could use a toothbrush to gently clean the leaves), I'd let it sit in a container of water and see of that water turns green as well. If there is algae accumulated on the plant, the plant will look lighter (as in appearing to lose color) when it's cleaned. I've had plastic plants lose color over time, but that was due to exposure to the lighting.
If you really think there's something wrong with the plant, I'd take it back to where I bought it.
Is the tank in bright light (as in near a window)? What is the temp of the water? What kind of filtration is being used? When you first put the plant in the water, had it just been changed?

Posted:
Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:16 pm
by Sen5es
Algae? But how would that happen if I didn't even introduce any 'real' plants in the tank?
I rinsed the leaves quickly with hot water. (Didn't use a tooth brush but just rubbed it with my hands). I will try leaving it in a container with water and see what happens.
The tank sits really close to my window. The temperature is always at a constant 74-76F. I am using an AquaClear 20 filtration that filters my 10gallon ten times an hour. In the beginning there was no green stuff at all. Now it seems to be exponentially increasing.
I put my fake plastic plant beside this rock on the bottom. Since the rock is heavy it just holds it in place. It seems like the colouring is getting onto the rock now too.

Posted:
Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:24 pm
by Sen5es
If it is algae, is it safe for my turtle?

Posted:
Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:57 pm
by marisa
Green algae is safe, and if it doesn't overrun the tank, it can make the enclosure look more natural. But once it starts, if you want to get rid of it (at least for a while), everything has to be cleaned really well, or it will quickly form again.
Real aquatic plants don't cause algae, but rather can discourage it.
Algae basically feeds on light, warmth and nutrients in the water (from leftover food, poop, etc.) Your tank is near a window (providing the light), the water temp isn't cool (and the basking lights add to the warmth along with the window light). You're also using an underpowered filter for the tank (an Aquaclear 50 would be better for a tank that size) which isn't keeping up with the waste your turtle is making. And if the water isn't being changed (at least partially) regularly, there's the nutrients for the algae to feed on.
Initially, you can slow the algae by moving the tank away from the window so the tank doesn't get as much light. A more powerful filter would help, as would more regular changes cleanings (you didn't say how often you did this, but algae can form quickly, especially in a 10-gallon tank).
I don't know how long you've had your turtle or how much he's grown in the time you've had him, but if you cut down on the lighting and the algae continually gets out of control, it may be that he's outgrown the tank and an upgrade is needed.

Posted:
Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:36 pm
by Sen5es
How did the Algae even started?
I do a full water change once a week.

Posted:
Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:09 pm
by marisa
Like I said above---a lot of light, warmth and nutrients in the water---that Aquaclear isn't powerful enough for a turtle (how big is he?). Algae can form in just a few days, especially if it isn't totally removed when the tank is cleaned.
For starters, you need to get the tank away from the window.

Posted:
Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:38 pm
by SpenceMasta
Sen5es wrote:How did the Algae even started?
I do a full water change once a week.
algae spores exist practically everywhere including in tap water, moisture in the air, and on dust particles
it is impossible to have an algae free environment, and having algae growth is usually a good sign you have healthy life supporting water, but it can become unsightly so you can either have other plants that compete for the nutrients, animals that eat it, uv sterilizers, or just keep up with cleaning it off like most people do