Page 1 of 1

Are turtles affected by loud-ish music?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:07 pm
by BSC
I was wondering the other day if turtles are affected by music? I have music on loudspeakers pretty often (2-3 times a day) not blaring out, but loud enough.

Does this bother the turtles?

P.S I've got a parakeet in my room who isn't bothered at all.. Unless some strange noise comes in :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:25 pm
by Corndog
I believe RES don't have especially great hearing abilities, but they are very sensitive to vibrations. I have music playing often, and haven't noticed it effecting my turtles. I'd guess as long as it's not shaking the aquarium glass, they'll be okay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:41 pm
by BullDog
Keep an eye on their behaviour. If they jump off the basking area or swim around frantically when you start the music, it might be bothering them. My stereo is right above my female's tank, and though I don't use it much I've never seen any odd behaviour when I use it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:00 am
by KoopaTroopa
I noticed today that during the car ride going to the vet, Sticky became frantic when I turned up my music and it was due to the bass vibrations. So yes you are right Corndog about being very sensitive to vibrations.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:22 pm
by Mech Cb
I crank up my surround sound a lot, and it doesn't seem to bother my turtle at all. I keep the sub between my recliner and couch, so they absorb most of the vibrations. However, if I bump the table holding the tank, or something similar-he definantly doesn't like it.