Page 1 of 2

Caramel Slider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:24 am
by rfjedi
I love my turtles. Is it worth the investment to buy a caramel slider? I am thinking about it. I just got my dispursement from college and I got some cash to spend. Laptop or caramel. Give me opinions!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:52 am
by Lilsaint
albino caramel? I heard that albino have bad eyesight and cant withstand strong UV lights... Unless u are willing to hand feed it everyday until it dies. I think getting other turtles would be better

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:01 am
by freshprince2146
Lilsaint albino turtles are only sensitive to light in the first few months of life. I have seen healthy adult albino turtles in the past who have not had a problem.

Iv"e never heard about a "caramel slider". Can you send us a link or a picture to what you are talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 pm
by worldpeace
I think this is a caramel slider. They are a rare type of slider.

http://www.turtlesale [not reputable].com/images/newpag ... ture_1.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:07 pm
by jay2487
hows the price compare with a rio grande? They are some awesome turtles
I'm pretty sure caramels and albinos are not the same thing.

clarification

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:03 pm
by rfjedi
albino are not caramel. Albino are rare but caramel are super rare. Albino are 250$ and caramel are 1000-1300$. So laptop or caramel?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:26 pm
by jay2487
well, hatchlings don't have the best survival rates so I would at least get a juvie if I was buying one, I'd hate to pay 1300 for something that could die in a week. There are so many awesome turtles out there to be paying that much for a super rare one. Did you look at the Rio Grandes? I would get a laptop and a rio grande. Or a mexican slider. That's just me though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 am
by dardar52487
I have 2 caramel pink sliders and some albinos sliders as well. The caramel pinks have perfect site and usually always do as they are not albino, just something different lol. If you want an awesome turtle I would pick up the caramel pink just don't buy it from turtlesale [not reputable].com They are the worst website in the world lol. They send sick, dead turtles all the time and are way way over prices. I only paid $350 for my caramels but got a good deal on them. You should be able to find some in the $400 to $500 range pretty easy. I would check out www.theturtlesource.com as they sell great quaily turtles and at much better prices then turtlesale [not reputable].com I have purchased a few turtles from them and all were 100% healthy and the service was great. Thats just my input on the situation

Just whatever you do, never buy a turtle from turtlesale [not reputable].com, they are the worst place you could even support for turtles.

BTW they keep to keeping the caramels to grow quick and stay healthy when they are young is to keep the water around 80-82 degrees and have a nice warm basking area for them and feed them 2 to 3 times a day. This will get them to grow quick and keep them from dying on you. I did that with mine and in 2 or 3 months they tripled in size and and super healthy.

Mitch

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:11 am
by rfjedi
Ill take a look at that site u were mentioning turtlesource [not reputable] and the name of what u were trying to prevent was blocked out is gone so cant look at that. I will definitely look into all this tho thanks for info

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:44 am
by freshprince2146
rfjedi where are you located? Their might be future reptile expos in your area.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:20 pm
by novroz
wow...that caramel slider is gorgeous...but they price is my 5months salary...geez.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:38 pm
by rfjedi
I live in Phoenix Az. Next one is in November. Im waiting very anxiously. As well I just moved here in december so I missed the last one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:33 am
by Linus
http://www.theturtlesource.com/turtle_i ... =100200374

Here's turtle sources stock of them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:52 am
by imderanged
dardar52487 wrote:I have 2 caramel pink sliders and some albinos sliders as well. The caramel pinks have perfect site and usually always do as they are not albino, just something different lol. If you want an awesome turtle I would pick up the caramel pink just don't buy it from [name removed].com They are the worst website in the world lol. They send sick, dead turtles all the time and are way way over prices. I only paid $350 for my caramels but got a good deal on them. You should be able to find some in the $400 to $500 range pretty easy. I would check out www.theturtlesource.com as they sell great quaily turtles and at much better prices then [name removed].com I have purchased a few turtles from them and all were 100% healthy and the service was great. Thats just my input on the situation

Just whatever you do, never buy a turtle from [name removed].com, they are the worst place you could even support for turtles.

BTW they keep to keeping the caramels to grow quick and stay healthy when they are young is to keep the water around 80-82 degrees and have a nice warm basking area for them and feed them 2 to 3 times a day. This will get them to grow quick and keep them from dying on you. I did that with mine and in 2 or 3 months they tripled in size and and super healthy.

Mitch



I could make an educated guess as to who "name removed . com " is and I agree. My Pickle was a gift from a well meaning friend who bought him from that website. Pickle was very tiny and not at all well when I got him. He's lucky to be alive! But now he's a big health boy...could have just as easily gone the other way, it was just a lot of work and a little luck that saved him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:12 pm
by blackforces get you
ive seen one of those at the pet store

it was grown but had a really bad shell and was about 7 inches. looked female. and was 15 dollars. i thought it was a different breed of turtle and its eyes kinda scared me.