Page 1 of 2

hatchling died for no reason?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:03 am
by n00bEmpty
Yeah, I just checked on my turtle and the smallest hatchling died for no reason? He was perfectly healthy then suddenly he was just dead, like not even breathing. What just happened? He wasn't biten as far as I know because all the turtles are the same size and there's no marks on him that makes it look like he was biten. Any ideas? Cold water? Bad water? etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 am
by TheComputerGremlin
Hatchlings die very easily, often of symptomless illnesses that they caught long before you got them. First, was he kept with other turtles? If he was, then you need to keep a close eye on them because they likely have whatever he had. Second, the only other thing that I would check on is your water heater, that's the only thing I can think of that could malfunction (causing too warm or too cold water or electric shock).

If he was kept with other turtles, you may have a hog turtle that is eating all of the others' food, so watch during your next feeding to make sure everyone is getting their fair share, and if not, you'll need to separate them for feeding time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:25 am
by n00bEmpty
Well, I feed them individually so I don't think any of them is hogging the food but it's just weird how my hatchling just died like that, no illness shown or nothing. Nothing I could really do or anything. He ate fine, very outgoing then suddenly boom, dead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm
by Diamondbacks4Life
Its normal. Hatchlings can die for no reason. He might have had an organ deformity inside of him and it gave out. I had a couple hatchlings just up and die for no reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:07 pm
by n00bEmpty
Glad to hear that it wasn't the habitat that was wrong, or else my other hatchling would have died too but I'm just sad that the hatchling had some kind of deformity since I got him and his brother at the same time, and they were the same size but this one never grew a bit but his brother grew a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:28 pm
by SINI5T3R
n00bEmpty wrote:Glad to hear that it wasn't the habitat that was wrong, or else my other hatchling would have died too but I'm just sad that the hatchling had some kind of deformity since I got him and his brother at the same time, and they were the same size but this one never grew a bit but his brother grew a lot.



if that is the cause of his death he prob had parasites taking all of his nutrition, sort of like a Tape worm in human's...they can cause all sorts of problems!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:46 am
by Moose
dnt feel bad its true, hatchlings do die for no reasons and dnt show any symptoms at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:18 pm
by n00bEmpty
His brother died today. Again, they were acting fine. Eating fine, swimming, everything then suddenly they just dropped dead. I'm feeling bad right now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:33 am
by Moose
I'm really sorry for you losses n00bEmpty, unfortunetly its life, and you did whatever you could to prevent it, dnt beat yourself up about it, like i said hatchlings do sometimes die for no reason.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:35 am
by SINI5T3R
n00bEmpty wrote:His brother died today. Again, they were acting fine. Eating fine, swimming, everything then suddenly they just dropped dead. I'm feeling bad right now.


Well that really sucks...I'm sure it had to be something they had before you got them tho...just bad picking luck I guess :(

I'm surprised out of all 3 side Vendor Turtles I have, not 1 of them have died at all and all seem pretty nice and healthy, but like you said yours were like that too...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:23 am
by n00bEmpty
I think it was something with genetics because when I got them then they were the same size and all but they just died.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:21 am
by Sheldon_turtle
is there gravel in the tank? if so they could have ingested one and got impacted. And again they could have had some disease from the get-go.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 pm
by coreyvht
sorry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:31 pm
by n00bEmpty
There was sand in the tank. They could have ate that but I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:50 pm
by Evecolonycamander
hacthlings are very small that may have done it i doubt it tho. most likely an deformity, if it was a parasite then most likely any other turtle would have problems too