Getting an RES and need help! Warning: Long post!
I have decided to take in a turtle, named Squirtle. Basically, she was unwanted and the owner was going to kill her. My aunt came in and rescued her 3~4 years ago. I just found out about this now, and decided to take Squirtle from her because she is living in the cold basement with inadequate housing. I know I won't be able to provide her the best care, but it will be considerably better than what she's getting now. The problem is I am CLUELESS as to how I'm supposed to take care of this turtle.
It has the red/orangish stripe on her head so that's why I've decided she's an RES. Her nails and tail are also short which leads me to believe she is female. I have no idea how old she is. My guess is more than 5 years.
I've read through the various pages on this site and have found them very informative but I still feel like I need some help. There's a lot of information there and I feel very lost! I'm going to try to stop by the pet store tomorrow to look at products, ask questions, etc.
Currently, Squirtle is living in a 20 gallon tank and she is about 5~6 inches long. I know enough to realize that the tank is way too small!!! I would like to get a bigger tank for her (I believe I would need something bigger than 50 gallons?) but the problem is MONEY. Those tanks can get really expensive... I'm going to look for something used. Any suggestions to finding a cheaper alternative would be great. I feel a little bad putting her in a giant Tupperware container...
I believe she is being fed every 2~3 days. I think the only thing she's getting is little turtle pellets. What should I be feeding her? What are good brands? What foods should I stay away from? Should I be feeding her live food? Do I have to feed her live food (I'd prefer to stick with pellets/plants)?
And now for where I'm really lost: Habitat. I see that she will need a mixture of water and land. How much water and how much land? Currently she has a giant rock that she can easily get on/off, is this good enough? There isn't enough water for swimming, I feel like she needs more but I'm not sure how much. 5 inches deep, more/less? Are plants/pebbles/logs/etc needed to make her habitat more welcoming? If so, what sort of things will I need to buy?
Then there is the whole heating thing. I understand I will need a UVA/UVB light but I know nothing else about that matter. Then I will need a heat lamp. What about keeping the water warm? Is room temperature good (the tank is inside)? We already have a filter so that is good.
What about keeping her home clean? How often do I have to clean it? Is there anything special I have to do or just change out the water periodically?
I am sorry for such an extensive post but as you may see, I'm really lost here. I just want to help this poor turtle out and give her a nice home! I really, really appreciate all the replies and the patience!
If you have any other tips and information to add, please feel free!
Thank you so much!
It has the red/orangish stripe on her head so that's why I've decided she's an RES. Her nails and tail are also short which leads me to believe she is female. I have no idea how old she is. My guess is more than 5 years.
I've read through the various pages on this site and have found them very informative but I still feel like I need some help. There's a lot of information there and I feel very lost! I'm going to try to stop by the pet store tomorrow to look at products, ask questions, etc.
Currently, Squirtle is living in a 20 gallon tank and she is about 5~6 inches long. I know enough to realize that the tank is way too small!!! I would like to get a bigger tank for her (I believe I would need something bigger than 50 gallons?) but the problem is MONEY. Those tanks can get really expensive... I'm going to look for something used. Any suggestions to finding a cheaper alternative would be great. I feel a little bad putting her in a giant Tupperware container...
I believe she is being fed every 2~3 days. I think the only thing she's getting is little turtle pellets. What should I be feeding her? What are good brands? What foods should I stay away from? Should I be feeding her live food? Do I have to feed her live food (I'd prefer to stick with pellets/plants)?
And now for where I'm really lost: Habitat. I see that she will need a mixture of water and land. How much water and how much land? Currently she has a giant rock that she can easily get on/off, is this good enough? There isn't enough water for swimming, I feel like she needs more but I'm not sure how much. 5 inches deep, more/less? Are plants/pebbles/logs/etc needed to make her habitat more welcoming? If so, what sort of things will I need to buy?
Then there is the whole heating thing. I understand I will need a UVA/UVB light but I know nothing else about that matter. Then I will need a heat lamp. What about keeping the water warm? Is room temperature good (the tank is inside)? We already have a filter so that is good.
What about keeping her home clean? How often do I have to clean it? Is there anything special I have to do or just change out the water periodically?
I am sorry for such an extensive post but as you may see, I'm really lost here. I just want to help this poor turtle out and give her a nice home! I really, really appreciate all the replies and the patience!
If you have any other tips and information to add, please feel free!
Thank you so much!