Page 1 of 1

CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:08 am
by Justin3344
Hi,
I am wondering did anyone hear of CALGRIT? it like something for Chicken or Bird to eat, but people say it very good for gravel substrate for the turtle too.

I only find it in Australia.
http://www.petandgarden.com.au/browse/d ... dID=132275

They say it good for Calcium and it risk free for turtle to eat too.

Did anyone use them in there tank? If yes, where can i find them in NYC?

Thank
Justin

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:46 pm
by steve
I think it's just limestone. I'm not sure who uses it, though there do seem to be a number of people who do.

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:51 pm
by Justin3344
... I guess your right they are crushed Limestone..

Wonder did anyone use them. If they are stone aren't they same as other graveling? But some people claim that it safe for the turtle to eat tho...

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:57 pm
by steve
Probably. It has come up on other forums, though surprisingly little. I would imagine that it can affect pH levels in your water too.

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:18 pm
by Justin3344
Yes according to others it does raise the PH. I just wonder where can i find it in NYC. I was gonna try it and add it with my river rock

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:01 pm
by jozzep
It seems more popular in the Australian continent then in the US. I've done some reading, and it should not be used as full substrate, but as an addition.
It's pretty much the equivalent as the crushed coral or shell grit that we use here.
You'll have better luck finding it if you search for "poultry grit". They use it as a supplement to chicken feed to give them the extra calcium they need for their egg shells.

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:27 pm
by Marcus.85
Would it raise the Gh too?

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:20 pm
by ekimsotnas07
maybe not a maine substrate but, you could try and put some in a bowl of water and test it to see how much it affects the quality before you add it to the tank.

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:22 am
by Justin3344
Yea, Some say that you should add a little at a time. Like add a few oz and then wait for 1 week check your water and then add some more.

I wanna use it with my River Pebble so not just Cal Grit only.

I think they say it raise PH but not that much.

I google Cal Grit and yea can't find much information on it. But like steve say it just crushed Limestone.

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:39 am
by ekimsotnas07
Found some info on cal grit..

Ingredients: Granite Grit, Oyster Shell, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Charcoal, Mineral Oil, Orange Oil, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Copper Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Calcium (Ca) (min)...............17.5%
Calcium (Ca) (max)..............21.0%
Phosphorous (P) (min)............0.25%
Salt (NaCl) (min)....................2.0%
Salt (NaCl) (max)...................3.0%

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:41 pm
by Justin3344
Is that for the Hi cal grit that petco sell?

Do anyone know what kind of store or where I can find the poultry grit?

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 pm
by ekimsotnas07
for the poultry grit maybe an animal feed store..
unsure what else in the poultry git be it says its just crushed granite..
http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/pogr5lb.html

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 am
by Justin3344
Thank You Ekimsotnas. I don't think I can find a poultry store in NYC. I can always try and ask around. I don't want to buy it off the internet because i don't know what inside it most of the site are not clear enough so don't want to buy it off the internet.

Thank Everyone for answer my question.
Hope someone know where to get them in nyc XD

Re: CALGRIT for substrate??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:27 am
by ekimsotnas07
You welcome, maybe you can find one outside the city..