Page 1 of 1

Finally I got PhotoBucket so U can help me with my baby RES

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 pm
by JVGrundy

Re: Finally I got PhotoBucket so U can help me with my baby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:03 am
by steve
Can you offer us some details?
What's the water temp and basking temp? What type of basking/UVB lights do you have?

Re: Finally I got PhotoBucket so U can help me with my baby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:10 pm
by marisa
How big is the tank? There could be more water in it than it has now (the basking area would have to be reworked). As your turtle grows, he's going to need a better filter (and tank).

From the pics, it looks like the light(s?) are not over the basking area, which they should be. Is there a UVB light as well as a basking light? Can your RES get on the basking area easily? Do you see him bask?

Is that a Dr. Turtle (or similar brand) near the filter? If so, I'd get rid of it, or at the very least not replace it when it's gone---it really doesn't help your turtle and if it's got any mediation/sulfa in it all it will eventually do is make your turtle resistant to the drug.

I've never seen a small turtle want to eat a whole piece of cuttlebone like that (was the backing taken off?). For smaller turtles it's often better to break the cuttlebone up into smaller (no bigger than head-size) pieces, leave a few floating in the tank and replace as needed.

I'd add a little leaf or two of red leaf lettuce (dandelion greens are even better) to give him something to nibble on (and get used to eating some greens. Take it out if it starts to go bad.