Page 1 of 1

Water temp stays put.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:58 pm
by gdesigner
Even when I unplug my water heater for a day, the temps stay at 80 degrees. I do no know if it is the heat from the heat lamp or ambient heat, but I want to lower the temps a little because my turtle has been shedding skin for months constantly and I think it is the water temp. What do you guys think and how could I combat this water temp problem?

Re: Water temp stays put.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 pm
by 77f2504by4
try to aim the basking lamp away from the water. also turn down the heat in your house. and if none of that helps you could install a chiller.

Re: Water temp stays put.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:27 pm
by steve
What's your room temperature like? Where are the thermometers positioned?

Re: Water temp stays put.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:13 am
by gdesigner
Well I live in an apartment building and I have those really old radiators, also I have a riser in my room that you can not shut off. So I really don't have optimal temperature control in my room. and the thermometer is placed on the front right side and the water heater is placed opposite of that. The thermometers lower part with the steel balls is towards the bottom of the tank and I'm assuming that since that warmer water rises to the top then the thermometer is showing the low reading of the water.

Re: Water temp stays put.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:28 am
by blackforces get you
i heard adding ice ends up dropping the temperature about one or two degrees depending on how much ice your putting into it

Re: Water temp stays put.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:39 am
by steve
Perhaps you need building maintenance to get your heating adjusted.

Re: Water temp stays put.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:29 pm
by vear
Honestly, there's not much you can do. I deal with the same problem a lot. Just don't plug in your heater. The ice or frozen water bottle method doesn't work very well for my tank b/c it's 75 gallons. I would need a lot of bottles! The best you can do is have your tank away from the heaters, and your heat lamp not pointed at the water (ATBA would work well). If it's 80F in your apartment though you may be able to get management to lower it (as Steve pointed out). Either that or they can get your radiator working so you can close it.

Re: Water temp stays put.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 pm
by marisa
Are you sure the thermometer is accurate?

Re: Water temp stays put.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:49 pm
by gdesigner
Thanks for all the replies, and yea the thermometer is accurate. I put it a cup of cold water and it went right down. I going to see about getting my heat fixed, but I guess 80 degrees isn't the worst temp to have it stuck at, lol.