Page 1 of 1

Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:53 pm
by Rishabh
Well As The UVB Light Is Not Available in This Entire Country.. I Have To Depend On Natural Sunlight For Providing UVB To My RES... I Put Them In A Wet Tray And Took Them Outside.. It Was 9:00 Am In The Morn... Well My Turtles Always Look To Escape And Run Away..As I Thought It Would Cause Stress To Them.. I Put Them Back In The Tank Immediately... :(

Any Suggestions... As I Read Here That 5 Hrs A Week Of Sunlight Is Adequate For RES, I Think My RES Get That... I Also Have Calcium+D3 Supplements For My Star Tortoise.. But As RES Eat Underwater i Cannot Sprinkle It On The Pellets.. Any Suggestions How To Give This Supplements To Them ? :roll:

Thanks For Taking Time To Read My Large Post... :D

Re: Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:09 am
by richieboy
Well, keep on taking him out when you can to get him used to it. You can wet the pellets sprinkle the supplement on and wait for it to dry or use the jello shot recipe which you can find in this forum. On getting the light, I don't know how your situation is but I would like to think it is possible some how. Internet order maybe? Good luck. I think if you have a routine of going outside the turtle will get used to it hopefully start basking. I just brought mine outside for the first time today, all she did was investigate my yard.

Re: Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:35 am
by Rishabh
I Don't Keep My RES On The Ground As There is Little Space Outside My House... Many Plants Are Present And There Are Many Insects Too... Mostly Ants... You May Not Know..But In India Crows Are present Everywhere... They May Also Hurt My Turtles..And As My Turtles Are Small i Don't Keep Them On The Ground As It May Harm Their Plastron... Today After Putting Them Back in The Tank..They Were Soo Scared... Now They Aren't Even Coming To Rest On Their Basking Dock When I'm Around... I'm Feeling Very Guilty For This :(

And Thanks For Replying And That UVB light... The Nearest Available site which sells it i think is in China... I Don't Think I'll Be Able To Afford The Shipping Charges + The Chinese Currency Converted into Indian Currency Right Now..

Re: Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:37 pm
by steve
They do not need a wet tray. What is the temperature? How many turtles do you have? How big are they?

Re: Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:32 pm
by rana
I got a dog a wire dog kennel to put mine in going to get a tub for some water, we have lots of cats, squirrels etc. where I live and I want to keep them safe! Mine freaked out when I took her out for the first time as well.

Re: Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:20 am
by richieboy
They'll get used to it, I mean they may not ever like being handled but they'll figure out after a while that they're not in danger.

Re: Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:55 am
by Rishabh
I Have Two Turtles Of Nearly 1.5 Inches SCL... I Though i Need A Wet Tray As It WAs Very Sunny Outside And The Temp.Here Is Generally 30-35 C During The Day And 28-30 During The Night...

Re: Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:57 am
by richieboy
Just make sure when they're outside that they have access to cool down and get out of the sun if needed. I don't know what a wire dog kennel is but if it's all metal it may heat up considerably in the sun.

Re: Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:38 am
by rana
I have half of it covered to provide shade for them and a plastic tub for water. I dont plan on keeping them outside but for a few hours a day when I am at home so they will always be under my watchful eye. I worry about them, dont want anything to happen to my little girls!

Re: Problem With Taking Turtles Outside

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:44 am
by richieboy
I feel you. In the beginning I was so paranoid about everything I did. I was also giving a sickly turtle that might have been on her way out. Once you get in the swing of things your stress will subside and you can enjoy your pet ;)