Page 1 of 1

Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:21 pm
by 1tdawg
I have noiced fred sleeping alot lately. I notice this because charles (my pleco) was sucking on his shell. He sleeps probably 70% of the day. And hardily basks. Should i be worried?

Re: Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:23 am
by Rishabh
Plecos Aren't Good For Turtle Tanks Exp. Smaller Turtles... How Big Is Fred ??? Sleeping Underwater Is A Major Concern... Check For Symptoms Of Any Diesease Like RI,Swollen Eyes..Is He Eating His Food ?

Re: Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:14 pm
by happycamper
How are the water and basking temps? Water that is too cold can make a turtle lethargic.

Re: Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:12 am
by richieboy
Yeah mine did that when she was sick. I'm thinking sleeping all day is a go see a vet symptom. Is he eating?

Re: Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:03 pm
by 1tdawg
His tank temps are around 75-78. IDK what his basking temPs are. Prob round 80-90? Tis a 50 watt bulb.Fred is approximate 3 1/2 in? His eyes always bulge when he sleeps. I have sleeping pics of this somwere in the gallery. I'll try to get some asap!

Re: Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:38 pm
by 1tdawg
Here are the pics:

one of his first day (arrival day)
Image

And a more current one (last year)
Image

Re: Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:02 am
by richieboy
I'm sorry but from what I'm gathering is that your turtle has been sleepy like this for over a year?

Re: Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:33 am
by 1tdawg
Oh no, he just recently started sleeping often, however when he has always slept with his eyed bulged like so. He certanly has not always slept for long periods of time. Sorry for any confusion.

Re: Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:50 am
by richieboy
No it's fine, I would keep the water temp at a constant 80F. If the situation stays the same or gets worse. You might need to see a vet. Is he able to locate his food in the water and eat it?

Re: Sleeping Constantly?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:31 am
by 1tdawg
Yes, finds food ok and is very oprotunistuc.