Page 1 of 1

Is this Fungus? [Pictures attached]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:57 am
by yarmun
Hi all,

I got this little RES, there are marks growing slowly on his top near the tail. Initially I used toothbrush try to clean the shell, but it does not seem to help. Now I can see some marks growing near the neck as well.

Is this fungus? If so how can I treat it?

There seems to be some marks on his bottom too, is that fungus or just scratches?

Unfortunately there is no direct sun in the apartment, I use a Arcadia D3+ lamp (12% UVB) on the top, with a 40W clamp lamp on the side to generate heat.

He is very actively and healthy otherwise, just bit off half of another smaller RES's tail last week.

Thanks in advance.

Image
Image
Image

Re: Is this Fungus? [Pictures attached]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:41 am
by Diamondbacks4Life
Unfortunatlly it is.

Do 100% water change on the water to get ride of the bacteria causing the fungas in the water first. Then I would use the Repti Turtle Sulfa Dip By Zoo-med in combination with silver sulfadiazine cream. It should stop the growth of fungus on him but if it gets worse you will need to find a vet as the fungus can spread very fast over the whole shell.

Re: Is this Fungus? [Pictures attached]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:01 pm
by Love of Animals
Also check the other turtle. If he doesn't have fungus separate them before he gets it. You can raise the water level in your tank. Even baby res love to swim. Good Luck!

Re: Is this Fungus? [Pictures attached]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:44 pm
by yarmun
Thanks. Will do that.