Page 1 of 1

Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:19 pm
by anthonykowalko
all answers will be very appreciated.

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:17 pm
by happycamper
75 gallons is usually considered minimum for a single male red eared slider. Females need 100+ gallons. For two to be housed in the same aquarium I wouldn't go any smaller than 150 gallons, and the risk of aggression is still a major possibility.

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:49 pm
by SeriSlider
my goodness. I thought it was 10 gal per inch. I think my RES is about 7in and I was looking for a new tank (75gal). Will that be too small? Im concerned about her growth since she's in a 20 gal currently :?

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:42 am
by JCsTurt
You are correct. As a general rule you want 10 gal per inch. The original question was regarding 2 turtles in one tank. If you have TWO 7 inchi RES then you'd want the 150 gal tank. If it's just one then 75 should be ok, but I wouldn't go any smaller for sure. I know my turtle does love his space and I'm looking for a 55 - 60 gal already if not an upgrade to something larger for an outdoor habitat. His shell currently right at 4 in x 4 in and his 29 gal tank is getting cramped for him especially since his health is on the mend! I expect him to start growing again rather quickly.

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:49 am
by SeriSlider
Thats another thing Im concerned about; once I get a 75gal tank, how soon til she out grows that one :?:

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:53 am
by steve
SeriSlider wrote:Thats another thing Im concerned about; once I get a 75gal tank, how soon til she out grows that one :?:

If you know you have one female RES, then a 100 gallon is all you will ever need. Now keep in mind, you will be fine with a 90 gallon but you can always look for tanks 100 gallons and up.

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:05 am
by sflemin2
They grow kinda glow. Mine are 10 years and still growing. Sylvie is just now getting to 10 inches and Raina will be hitting 11 soon I suspect

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:18 pm
by Miss Tee
sflemin2---you're scaring me!

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:20 am
by sflemin2
slow*
Miss Tee, I had no idea mine would get so big when I bought them! I will measure them today when I get a chance. If I ever get rich, I will have to build them a huge indoor pond in my mansion lol

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:45 pm
by Miss Tee
Well, be sure to invite us over for a dip

Re: Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2 RES?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 am
by sflemin2
Lol I will have a turtle block party!